Thursday, January 22, 2009

Snowy Silence


Earlier this week I was running a half-hour ahead of schedule before meeting with someone I tutor, so I stopped in at Novodevichy Monastery and went for a short walk. It had just started to snow, and the conditions were perfect for some winter photographs.


There was hardly anyone there and the place was silent


The snow started to really fly and it got cold. I should have hurried back to the car instead of letting myself get chilled; perhaps that's why I'm sicker than I can recall in years with the horrible flu Chris brought back from California. This is my first time out of bed today other than to make a quick trip to the kitchen or bathroom. My fever is a little over 103 and I'm either covered in sweat or freezing.


As it got closer to 5:15, grandmothers started to show up on their way home from work... They walked around praying.


Here are the church offices; I thought of you, Annie!


By the time I left, the sun had set and the sky was the most beautiful pink/purple. It's never dark here at night because of all the city lights. 


I'll get caught up on blogs tomorrow; I'm just too sick right now... Loved K's video "thank you," though, Rachael! Thanks for the info about the airport's new lost baggage policy (they won't deliver it anymore; you have to go get it in person), Expatresse! Still no word on the bag...

13 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Absolutely stunning pictures! Suitable for framing. Just gorgeous. I want to go there next Xmas when I'm there.

Horrible that you all are so sick. Diane sends her love and hopes you all feel better soon. I'm on the phone w/her.

Anonymous said...

wow! my favorite place in all of moscow! thank you for sharing ; )
feel better soon!


miss you!
jeannie

Tami said...

Absolutely breathtaking!
Get back in bed! :)

Anonymous said...

Great pictures!
I hope you feel better soon.
Olga

Annie said...

My dear friends took Ilya and I to visit that monastery a year ago August. It was quiet and beautiful then, too - though warmer! I took a photo of that same angel...the one on the wall of the little chapel.

Oh - I do with my office was there!! :)

Thanks for sharing; I hope you feel better soon!

The Expatresse said...

Get well soon. I can finally smell the cat box again (not sure that's really a good thing).

Odd note: This week, when I come to your page, my Norton security product tells me you are a phishing threat. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are breathtakingly beautiful! I hope you are feeling better soon! Love your froggie pictures too! How fun! Thinking of you, Donna D.

Cecelia said...

The pictures are beautiful. Thanks for sharing them.

Natalie said...

those are some beautiful pictures! Sorry you are so sick.

Carey and Norman said...

Beautiful photographs. A much different look of Moscow. Loved your angles.

Carey and Norman said...

Hope you get to feeling better!

Rachael said...

Beautiful! Like a fairy tale.

(Feel better soon!)

kate said...

Hope you're feeling better! You know you've been in Russia too long when you start believing that COLD makes you sick. Keep chanting "germ theory" until you're back to normal.