Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Third Culture Kids: Part 2

Hmm... As I was cooking dinner right now, I suddenly thought of a rather famous Third Culture Kid (see my previous post) who is on everyone's mind these days! Can you guess?

(Scroll down...)















Barack Obama lived in Indonesia with his American mother and Indonesian stepfather, attending a local school, from the ages of seven to ten. His being a "TCK" runs even deeper when you consider that his father was Kenyan. He's living proof that being a Third Culture Kid isn't necessarily a bad thing; it opens your mind to other cultures and makes you rather flexible and tolerant.

10 comments:

The Expatresse said...

Yes, we can!

Tina in CT said...

Quite the role model to look up to!

Carey and Norman said...

I think it would be amazing to live in another country. I love to travel, but I've never been gone more than a few weeks at a time. I think your girls are being given a wonderful opportunity in life to grow! Love the new header too.

Seane-Anna said...

Please! Can't we get over this Obama worship? He's NO role model, unless you consider spending two decades in a "God damn America!" church a necessary role model ingredient.

Seane-Anna said...

I love the new header, too!

Tina in CT said...

Seane-Anna,

Not everyone shares your view (fortunately).

Tamara's mother

Anonymous said...

I am with Tina on that issue!
Olga

Tina in CT said...

Thanks Olga!

Tina

Seane-Anna said...

Not everyone shares my views...but I'm right. :)

MoscowMom said...

OK, I'm going to weigh in... This blog is my place to **relax**. I don't generally write anything that could be incendiary to anyone; I'm not looking to to make this blog into a political place in any way. Just as I respect that others' blogs are just that -- theirs -- so this is mine. No one *has* to read it. If you don't agree with what I've written, it's fine by me -- but I don't want my blog comments to be unpleasant, sarcastic or polemic.