Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Very Brady Cure for Jet Lag



Who would have known?

Last night I introduced the girls to The Brady Bunch, on dvd, despite Natalia's sobs and cries about how I could make her watch a "Mommy" show that was most certainly going to be dreadful! 

Twenty minutes later, as the girls sat enthralled, giggling together, Natalia sheepishly admitted she had been wrong...

They were still unable to fall asleep until 11:30 p.m., but they both actually got up without a fight for school this morning -- because I told them they could watch some more of the show once they were ready until it was time to leave.

That sure did the trick! 

Hallelujah! Our first pleasant morning all week!

Here are Katya and Asya just before she got dressed. Just look how tired that poor girl is!


It's too bad I don't have enough time to order any more seasons of the show for Chris to bring back from America...

Little things like that -- not being able to get a book or dvd when you want it -- are some of the aspects of expat life that can be such a pain... It's why it's so darn stressful when we're in the USA; I try to think of every little thing we could possibly want/need until the next trip back... For example, I brought back packs of Valentines, conversation hearts, jelly beans, chocolate bunnies and other traditional Easter candies/basket fillers last week (planning ahead, the Easter candy had been purchased last year -- yes, last year -- after Easter when it was on sale...). 

Sure, I don't need any more seasons of The Brady Bunch -- but I'd gladly use my Barnes and Noble coupon and go buy one for $15 if I were in America :-) Guess I'll order some and have you sneak 'em over little by little -- removed from packaging -- in our regular mail that comes via Chris's office, Mom...

Before I click "Publish Post," I must confess that I'm just as excited as the kids to curl up on the couch this evening and pop in the next episode of Season One...

8 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

At least, you have family to mail you additional DVDs. The little things would be hard not to miss. Just glad your girls love the Brady Bunch as much as I did growing up!!

Tina in CT said...

I also loved the Brady Bunch when it was on and I was an adult then.

Before you even wrote that you'd be buying the additional episodes online and having me ship them, I was immediately thinking that you should go ahead and order them as I could mail them to you without their cases.

I bet Natalia was eating her words.

Katya and Asya look so cute and cuddly. I see that she has on Kit's pajamas. I wish Liesel would settle down and be cuddly.

Tina in CT said...

I even bought some "oldie" TV shows (from my childhood) on DVD at a super sale. Would they be interested in The Lone Ranger and The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet?

Rachael said...

I think I've seen every Brady Bunch out there. I didn't know it was on DVD. I will have to indoctrinate my kids too!

Anonymous said...

i checked out itunes for you, and although at this point you cannot download episodes of the B.B., you can download songs/albums. that might be fun! we downloaded lots of stuff (the office, dora, etc) from itunes while we lived there.

miss you!
jeannie

Annie said...

How funny...that's been the anxiety I felt in Russia...strain over money, but distress knowing that in no time at all everyone would be thoroughly sick of THESE DVDs and want new ones...and the Russian ones here are SO expensive...and then there's books, and music....

Actually, to my surprise and delight, I just discovered yesterday that we can pay a bit extra and have a RUSSIAN TV channel! Yes! How cool is that?

Anonymous said...

Friend of my gave me this link, I do not know if it can be of any use to you
http://russianremote.com/

Olga

garnet said...

I have great memories of watching "The Brady Bunch" at my aunt's place. And I am so impressed with how organized you are. I'm already making lists for summer shopping (we only go once a year) so things like Valentines and Easter pretty much go unrecognized with stuff from the U.S. -- though this year I have the wonderful Russian Easter items.