Friday, February 27, 2009

I Loved You...


Alexander Pushkin (Katya's favorite poet -- how many eight-year-olds have a "make you squeal with adoration" favorite poet??!) and Natalia Goncharova, the symbols of Russian love, got into the spirit of things during this "lovey" period spanning from Valentine's Day to International Women's Day (March 8th)... I just had to take a picture.


He wrote the following poem in 1829; it's one that Chris and I had to memorize in our Russian literature class back in college when we had just started dating. Click here to hear it read. 

OH, HOW LUCKY WE WERE THAT THE PROFESSOR OF THAT CLASS (and his wife, also our professor) WANTED TO US TO END UP TOGETHER... Our minds weren't exactly 100% focused on our studies...

Я вас любил: любовь ещё, быть может,
В душе моей угасла не совсем;
Но пусть она вас больше не тревожит;
Я не хочу печалить вас ничем.
Я вас любил безмолвно, безнадежно,
То робостью, то ревностью томим;
Я вас любил так искренно, так нежно,
Как дай вам Бог любимой быть другим.


I loved you once: perhaps that love has yet
To die down thoroughly within my soul;
But let it not dismay you any longer;
I have no wish to cause you any sorrow.
I loved you wordlessly, without hope,
By shyness tortured, or by jealously.
I loved you with such tenderness and candor
And pray God grants you to be loved that way again.

7 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Are you writing about the professor that was Chris' advisor or his wife that also taught Russian?

Annie said...

Thank you for sharing. I'm enjoying reading your blog very much. God bless you my friend.

Christine said...

Lovely post. How romantic.

Annie said...

Oh, my goodness! I memorized that, too! But, unfortunately, there was no handsome male Russian student for me...even though, my high school Russian teacher, and the head of the Department at Univ. of Colorado, were married, too....and, I expect, in that small world....they know your teachers.

I keep meaning to write to them...I ditched Russian and went into theatre, and in retrospect I think that probably was a bit of a disappointment for them. I was the "up and coming" literature student. Oh,well....THAT is a Robert Frost poem....

And...Nastya ADORED that statue when we were strolling down the Arbat together. We went into the apartment there, and I just had a marvelous time....daydreaming away.

Anonymous said...

I think, there is an old romance which uses this poem, or may be I am dreaming. Many of his poems are so easy to sing.
Olga

Anonymous said...

Interesting, at Katya's age, my favorite poet was Lermontov. I warmed up to Pushkin later.
Olga

Lisbeth said...

Oh, what a beautiful poem! Thanks for sharing!
Btw: I am a Norwegian ex-pat living in Toronto, Canada, with a russian-canadian husband, trying to provide the kids with a bit of all cultures....My greatest regret is that the norwegian language has slipped away from them (not much of a Norwegian community here....and I just think in English now), but it is always interesting to hear of other people's experiences trying to raise their kids in multiple cultures, away from "home". Looking forward to following your blog! :) Hugs,
Lisbeth