Thursday, February 5, 2009

Mushroom Lady


You know that song, "Do you know, the muffin man? The muffin man... The muffin man..."?

Well, for some reason whenever I pass this babushka, I think of this version: "Do you know, the mushroom gran? The mushroom gran... The mushroom gran?"

She's often at the corner with her long garlands of dried wild mushrooms. I bet they're delicious, but knowing how long they've been held outside in the polluted air makes them considerably less appealing...

It also doesn't help that she can't stand me.

I've been trying to sneak a picture of her for months after she once caught me trying to take her picture. SHE. WAS. AN-GRY!

But today... Gotcha! And she didn't even realize it. The black in the upper corners of my pictures? My sleeve... as I cradled my camera in my hand and blindly pressed click as it rested by my side.


Somehow she just wouldn't have understand my pleading, "It's for my blog!"

This last picture is yet another example of Moscow contrasts... The pretty young Russian with money, carrying a Louis Vuitton purse, wearing expensive heals and a fur, chatting on her mobile v. the poor stooped over babushka, dressed in many layers of woolens and Russian boiled wool boots, trying to sell mushrooms from her dacha to supplement her meager pension...

4 comments:

Tina in CT said...

How sad that in her old age the babushka has to endure long hours in the cold trying to earn a few bucks.

It always tears my heart to see people in the cities selling things on street corners trying to earn a few bucks.

Rachael said...

Interesting study in contrasts.

There were so many Babushkas selling things in the underground tunnel entrances, when we were there.

Annie said...

I wish I could have a bunch of those mushrooms...

I always have to be a contrarian...but somehow that babushka has more dignity than the ones just sitting in a "retirement" home here.

That is a very cool photo.

garnet said...

I'm really impressed that you got this picture -- and so many others you get. I never have the courage (and I generally don't feel comfortable taking my camera around town here for fear of theft). So many amazing pictures I lose out on because of these fears.