Wednesday, February 18, 2009

OK... Medical Adventures Part II


This picture here? That you can decipher with the alphabet below? Well, it's looking like THAT is the root of my problem...!











No.... My problem isn't that I need to be more patriotic (um, "FLAGS")... It appears that I need the "Optika," (think, "optical"/"optometrist") where I can get eye care...

Yeah, after more tests today it appears that eyeglasses for looking into the distance are no longer optional -- when I think I need it -- and I need glasses all the time. My prescription used to be enough that I owned glasses, but I didn't really need to wear them unless I felt the need... And I really didn't like wearing them, so I didn't...

I should have.

My prescription has changed A LOT. It turns out I've been straining my eyes a great deal to see for the past year (and a half?). This likely lead to a migraine affecting the optical nerves -- which also lead to the temporary numbness on the right side of my body. The right side of my face is still feeling numb, but my vision is now "normal" -- i.e. what it was before the blurring yesterday.

I need to now get glasses and fill a prescription in case I ever feel a migraine coming on again. 

I could have gotten the glasses today, but I want a second opinion about my prescription. My vision still wasn't 100% when the optometrist saw me... so I'm going to wait until Tuesday when I can see one whom I know is VERY good -- the mom of one of Katya's friends, who is also a well-known professor in Moscow.

It certainly didn't help matters that leading up to all of this, I've been swamped at both work and home with no reprieve for years. Without knowing anything about my life, all the doctors just assumed (they're used to dealing with expats) that stress had to have contributed to this. 

So, well... Let's hope that this whole saga ends with a simple pair of glasses! And a lighter load at work... And at home... 

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT! I hadn't finished this "Part 2 Post" because I'm giving all my attention to Natalia on our first night alone while Katya is away on her school trip. We're snuggling in front of Year 3 of The Brady Bunch... YES, we managed to get that coveted complete series DVD set sent by Fed Ex via Chris's office...!!!!

8 comments:

Tami said...

Glad you're feeling better and that its only a matter of needing to wear your glasses. (Although I'm a bit confused as to how it could make your face feel numb.)

MoscowMom said...

Hi, Tami! You saw my post before I edited it (I'd pushed "publish" too soon). Basically, the doctors said that strain on the eye muscles can lead to a particular type of migraine that can impair the nerves. Since they couldn't find any other explanation, that's what they're thinking must have happened. If the sensation in my face comes back soon, then that was probably the reason.

MoscowMom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

i have had an ocular migraine before, although not as bad as yours. it also sent me to the dr asap - vision problems like that are very scary! so thankful that all is well - please keep us updated on your face numbness. love to you!

miss you!
jeannie

Carey and Norman said...

I always love how you give us hints at how to read the photos. So glad that you are better and that your experience was due to eye strain. I'm sure living in Russia, you don't go to regular doctor's visits like you would in the States. So, I could see how it would happen.

Thinking of you and so glad you are doing better!

Annie said...

You certainly never sound, stressed, anxious or anything other than peacefully in the present moment in your blog.

Yes; do look for that second opinion and trust your instincts. I had an optometrist tell me that my eyes had changed radically because after I began to wear the contacts he prescribed I could no longer see well for just "round the house" stuff (including reading in bed) when I took them out. He implied I was - getting OLD!

However, not swayed by that, I got a second opinion, and it was the radically poor prescription that I'd gotten from DR#1 that had caused me to suddenly lose my close up vision, too. The thing that angered me is that I can understand mistakes, but to imply that I was just denying my age, etc. really rankled. I wish I'd used common sense and checked it out sooner.

Katya said...

Ha ha ha ha ha. I'm SO glad it was something simple and dumb not something complex and horrible. I am SO SO SO happy for you and so relieved. I've been so worried all day about you.

Rachael said...

I missed all the drama! Glad you're on the mend. That sounds scary. Hey, not many people can say they've had a CT scan in Russia, or ridden in an ambulance there! That's high adventure.