Sunday, February 8, 2009

Pumpkin Fettuccini with Rosemary Gorgonzola Sauce


Last night my blog friends from over at place2place came over for dinner... I made pumpkin fettucini with rosemary & gorgonzola sauce. Yum, yum, yum! How strange to think that it was just about a year ago that Dina first found my blog while they were still living in Africa... And now they're here, only one trolleybus ride away...



The pasta looked so pretty while it dried that I decided to take some pictures. I have a hand-cranked machine that lets you roll it out and then cut it into strands. 

I make the pasta itself by basically filling a huge bowl with half a bag of flour, a little salt, 2/3 of a cup of pumpkin purée and then adding eggs and egg yolks until it all forms a smooth ball and doesn't stick to the bowl/counter. I then flour the counter and kneed it until it's perfectly smooth and let it rest for a while. Then I kneed it again and cut it into eight separate little balls, wrapping each ball completely in plastic wrap to prevent drying.

It's so easy to make fresh pasta... You can also add olive tapenade, or minced herbs, or cracked peppercorns... You can also roll it out with a rolling pin and cut it into shapes... My girls used to love to use their penguin and dolphin cookie cutters to make truly kid-friendly pasta!

Then it's time to use the pasta machine... This is what ours looks like.


Then I have to separate each strand and place it on this drying rack I picked up in Italy.


For eight servings of sauce, bring 2 cups of heavy cream to a boil with one large sprig of fresh rosemary. Then let it simmer over low, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes -- so it will reduce. Then remove it from the heat, remove the rosemary sprig, and stir in 180 grams (13 ounces) of crumbled gorgonzola cheese, stirring until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, and it's ready!

Toss the cooked pasta with sauce completely, and garnish with a fresh rosemary sprig to serve.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you make it sound easier than it is... ; ) i have fond, awesome, wonderful memories of your homemade pasta....makes me hungry! it is still something i haven't tried yet, gotta get brave - yours will always be the best though!

miss you!
jeannie

p.s. when one door closes another opens....and this particular door just *won't* stay shut... : )

Rachael said...

What a funny, funny coincidence that you posted this TODAY. I just (just as in the kitchen still looks like it blew up, but I'm taking a breather before cleaning up!) spent all afternoon making homemade ravioli, with my new Kitchen Aid pasta dough roller. Well, it isn't that new. I got it for my birthday in November, but finally today got brave enough to use it! It's SO cool. I LOVE it. I made a huge batch. We had some for dinner and I'm freezing some.

I've been wanting to try making my own noodles ever since I had & was very impressed by the ones YOU made in Moscow. Remember the carbonara? (that I picked the bacon out of? :)) I'm definitely going to try the pumpkin noodles! They sound delish. Now, just need to find a drying rack...

Dia said...

Hey Tamara--did you roast a pumpkin and then scoop out the flesh or use canned puree?

I have a pasta machine here and have made linguine and ravioli with a bit of trial and error :-).

We have lovely little pumpkins here at the farmers' market--strange but true. You don't normally think Thai food and pumpkins, but there are a few dishes, including a lovely light custard. I know--you don't think Thai food and....dessert.

Sending you some BKK sunshine. xo

Tina in CT said...

Looks very good and a lot better than what I had for supper!

I vote for the red, white and blue background.

Christine said...

I'll be right over for dinner! That sounds so yummy!

Anonymous said...

I have similar tool, it has different name, I think it is Atlas.
I love it.
Last time I made pasta, few weeks ago, I went on Internet to check different recipes, and found a very good suggestion - add a table spoon of olive oil to your dough - it will make it very workable - it is true - very pleasant dough.
Chair can be used to dry the pasta, but even better, the clothes drying racks, you know, the chip folding ones sold in hardware stores - work just fine.
Olga

garnet said...

Wow! Not only does this sound delicious (I do love pumpkin and we can get them all year round -- though they generally aren't orange on the outside) but I am just in awe of all the work. I've always wanted a pasta maker but I can't actually see myself doing all that. Hmm . . . but my household helper is a pretty good cook and used to making *everything* from scratch!