Monday, February 2, 2009

Sometimes the Craziness Works in Your Favor...


Sure, it can take an hour of red-tape procedures to return something to a store... Even within two weeks, with the sales receipt...

But you can pretty much walk into any pharmacy and just ask for antibiotics wihout a prescription. Even though you're legally supposed to have one.

Then you get home and you have to mix the suspensions yourself! THAT sure threw me for a loop when we first moved here! It's NOT always clear just how much water you're supposed to add... I shudder to think of how many kids don't get well because their clueless expat parents add too much water (the instructions are usually only in Russian, and NOT easy to dechiper)... Or how many kids get an overdose? 

Here's a picture of Katya's latest Suprax, water added, before I shook it...


Our doctor had warned me that Katya could end up with Natalia's Strepp... I don't really think she has Strepp, but she's doing worse and she has green nasal discharge. Time for antibiotics. No need to head to the doctor... AGAIN.

Just walked into my local pharmacy... And voilà!

Shakey, shakey!

6 comments:

Annie said...

THAT would be wonderful!

Rachael said...

When I took Katya to the dentist in Russia, and he prescribed antibiotics, we went to the pharmacy to pick them up, and the pharmacist changed the rx. because she said what the dentist wrote for would be too strong for Katya, so she changed it to a different med altogether. Now THAT was a foreign concept to me!

Carey and Norman said...

I had a rash due to sickness patches behind my ears in Russia. I tried to get ointment at the pharmacy and that was hilarious in and of itself. I cannot imagine being sick and not knowing how to read the prescription/directions. Bless your heart!

Anonymous said...

How big is the bottle?
I do not know which system is better, seems a wash to me.
Few years ago my eye got very swollen in the morning. We were planning a trip that morning.The way my eye looked, I thought, it is either an infection or allergy. There is no such thing as "no-prescription" antibiotics here, so I had to make an emergency visit to the doctors office. It took me a while to see him. After very thoughtful observation of my eye, my doctor said: It is either infection or allergy, so I will prescribe you both - antibiotic and anti-allergy drug, one of them will help.
I could of done that myself and spare the trip to the doctor.
Olga

Tina in CT said...

Read The Beet Goes On about drunk Aeroflat pilot. Please, fly Delta and not Aeroflat. Lost luggage is better than a drunk pilot.

Mom

Tony and Dawn said...

Last May while completing our adoption in Vladivostok, I had the unfortunate opportunity to visit a local hospital due to a kidney stone I had tried to handle for 4 days. I'm not sure which was worse, the pain of the kidney stone or the medication I was sent "home" with. The shot at the hospital was great, but that was about it. When we arrived in Moscow the following week, I begged our facilitator to take me to the local private clinic. My doctor, an American actually, was very good but alas, his prescription pain medication was only a little better. The trip tp the pharmacy was interesting. I handed them some prescription notes and they handed me some boxes - no instructions!