Thursday, February 5, 2009

Thanks for the Kind Words

My student still isn't back in school... 

I spoke with his mom today and learned that the parents of the teens who attacked him are putting such pressure on him to make her recant his testimony against them.

Given how difficult this is becoming, how much time it's taking up, how hard it is to be attacked by the defense lawyers, he wants to just forget the whole thing...

But it's too late. 

Once the official complaints have been filed, you can't stop the process. There will be trial. There's no backing out now.

The attackers' parents are about to whip out the money and my student's mom is in a quandary about it all. 

IF, somehow, the court officials will accept bribe money, then should they, too? After all, it would then become even harder to proceed with the case. And they could really use the money; she's a single mom and Moscow is so expensive.

On the other hand, she doesn't want to set an example of accepting bribe money for her son. She wants him to learn that people can be dishonest, and that you have to stand tall and determinedly behind your convictions. 

For my part, I'm having him and the other boy who was mugged write essays about their experiences. (I offered such a topic and they were glad to do it). They need to practice such writing for their big standardized exam next month, and I think it might help them to get it all out -- what happened and their feelings about it -- on paper. 

5 comments:

Tina in CT said...

The corruption is terrible. IMO, go through the court system and send the affluent scummy teenage boys to jail. Maybe when kids see that there are consequences for their actions, they will think twice.

Since those two teenage boys were from affluent families, they can buy their onwn iphones.

Cindy Niles said...

Life isn't always fair, but to learn that lesson in the manner these boys have is simply cruel! God bless you for being there for them.

Tina in CT said...

Like the new layout.

Please have a picture printed for me of the girls in their Williamsburg era gowns that I made them and mail it to me for my shadow box. Thanks

Rachael said...

What a quandry. Poor kid.

garnet said...

Poor, poor kid. What a terrible situation to be in. I can see something happening like that here, too. Just awful.