Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Not Feeling So Vacation-y...

I took my friend's son to play at the park... On the way home, a Hummer and a Land Rover raced each other, around me... Where are the cops when you need them??! It happened so fast... The Land Rover came straight toward the backseat passenger door of my car, right where my friend's son was sitting... There were no on-coming cars and I was able to swerve out of the way. Made it home and almost threw up in shock.

***********

Brought the car to the car wash, had to wait in a very long line, along with a bunch of other people... I chose to wait outside at one point, standing between two luxury cars clearly being driven by drivers and not by the owners. At one point I felt a reflection of sunlight in my eyes; something in one driver's hands had deflected the ray. With shock I realized I was looking into the nose of a pistol that the the driver was cleaning, inadvertently pointing at me. Bodyguard/Driver. In real life, not in a movie... 

I promptly then left my car, only returning to claim it once it was ready. It was much preferable to wait at the nearby cafe over a $7.60 cup of coffee (!!!) sans weaponry as opposed to staying there. (Pretty much any beverage costs that, even water).  I must confess, though, how odd it is to have security guards in fancy suits just standing there at all times, keeping their eyes on all the cafe patrons. 

************

Not exactly great moments in Moscow this week.

5 comments:

Tina in CT said...

It's time to move home.

Your mother

Rachael said...

Yikes...be careful!

Tami said...

Whoa! Crazy stuff. Be careful!

Sheryl said...

Adventures in Moscow of the 007 variety. Goldfinger?

Annie said...

Our adventures were a bit seedier. Ilya and Zhenya found a wallet on Sunday morning when they were out on their bikes.... I could find no phone number inside, though the wallet (sans money) did have all the credit cards and ID that would make the owner want it back. They found it outside the party store, a block away, where they rode hoping to buy candy. I rather hoped the policeman would understand that the boys had not taken the money. Sure enough, he reported that the owner of the wallet had been mugged at knife point the night before at the end of our street. Got to love Lansing. The "nice" neighborhoods and the "mixed" ones rub shoulders, to say the least.