Tuesday, March 24, 2009

On A Lighter Note...

My friend's son is in the backseat, watching every move I make. He loves to see the arrows blink when I'm about to turn, quickly telling me where we're headed. I compliment him on his awareness, saying, "You're going to be a great driver when you grow up!"

He reflects for a minute, then says, in all seriousness, "Nah... I think I'll have a different job when I grow up..."

I realize that he's truly an expat kid, thinking that "driver" is a profession and not something most people over sixteen do as a normal part of life... I ask him for some clarification.

He then adds, just for some more giggles, "You know, my daddy is a driver sometimes, when he's not a lawyer."

4 comments:

Tami said...

Cute.

Annie said...

Ha! That reminds me of the little girl who was "left" after Religious Education classes one week. I was assuring her that one of her parents would soon be there - they probably just got caught up somewhere. She agreed with me and as if to illustrate this said confidentially, "Sometimes my daddy actually has to work." I got a good laugh out of that! Her dad is a cardiologist.

The Expatresse said...

Wow.

Talk about your different perspectives.

Tina in CT said...

So cute.

I remember one summer when you were about the same age and you were waiting for your father to come home, you told me that he needed to work to pay the insurance. Never figured out where you got that from.