Thursday, March 12, 2009

Really Dumb!


Whoever did this graffiti must be truly stupid... I mean, do you really want to take the risk of defacing a police cubicle which is under video surveillance? 

Wait, the hooligans were probably drunk... Not dumb... Or both... This IS Moscow, after all.

I'm luvin' the police today... Turned onto a deserted street yesterday in a new neighborhood, only to realize it might be a one-way one since cars were only parked in the direction facing me... I instantly stopped to head back, but of course got stopped when a cop car appeared out of nowhere...

There were NO signs that warned it was a one-way street. NONE. 

I wonder if those cops hid the sign and just sit there waiting to nab people and extort money.

The cops, of course, didn't care. I managed to hide the $400 that I had just withdrawn to pay the child psychologist, but didn't have time to get the remaining $90 (in a mix of rubles and dollars left over from our trip to the USA) out of my wallet... 

You know where that cash is now...

One officer took out his brand spankin' new iphone to take a picture of my American license (not for any official purpose, I'm sure, more to just to show how cool he is to have a picture of a real American license...). It took all my self-control to not make the snarky remark, "Wow... Nice phone on a traffic cop's salary..." (An honest cop could NEVER buy a phone like that. It would cost approximately one month's pay). 

Oh, well. Blog fodder.

10 comments:

Tami said...

So do they search your purse for money, or are they rude enough to demand it after they see you pull your drivers' license out of your wallet? How does the shake down happen?
$90 isn't SO bad. Its about the same as a speeding ticket here in the states...but STILL!

Tina in CT said...

Lesson learned - Do what you always saw me do when we went to the City. Hide the bills in your bra. Just leave $20 or so in your wallet.

Just be glad that they didn't take your new iPhone too or didn't they see it.

Jojo, Julz, Jules said...

What would happen if you just played dumb, and didn't know the language?? And kept saying
Ya Amerikanka.

Tanya said...

The more things change, the more they stay the same. That's just how I remember it.

The Expatresse said...

Repeat after me: "I am not Monday."

In Russian, of course.

Tina in CT said...

It's a shame that American expat children are getting such a warped sense of police officers. Here in the US they are there to help citizens.

Natalie said...

I cant believe they just take money from you at the window!!!!!!!! Are you required to carry money with you wherever you go? How rediculous. If I got pulled over for doing something that wasnt posted, I would throw a royal fit! If I lived there, I assure you, I would get arrested having as big of a mouth as I do!

Chucky said...

I don't want to be rude or anything but weren't you the dump one breaking the law? IMHO $90 is a small ticket (I live in Finland), and remember you live in the world's most expensive city Moscow where the latte costs $9. BTW otherwise I like your blog, I found some interesting places to see while I'm here.

Chucky said...

I mean the dumb one, sorry for the bad language :D
And one more thing, I doubt there's anything cool for a Russian in "real american driver's licence".. lol.

MoscowMom said...

Hi, Chucky --

If you had been reading my blog from the beginning, you would have read OVER and OVER again accounts of the police extorting money SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY CAN. It's so bad that when Natalia was three, she was asked in an educational setting about what various people do in various jobs. When asked about police officers, she replied, "Work the cash register." At three.

I've been stopped perhaps 14 times since starting to driver here, and only twice because I had done anything wrong -- turning onto a one way street when it's deserted and there were NO SIGNS WARNING YOU AT ALL. They couldn't do that in America -- if you're given a ticket, there would have been a sign declaring it was one-way! If someone had removed the sign, your ticket would be dismissed.

Yes, I turned onto that street -- but those ***holes were just waiting there from someone to do it, hidden, because they knew the sign was gone. I've since seen them stop three other people in the same spot. What a racket.

You might look back to November 2007, when I was detained and they tried to make me go to an ATM and withdraw hundreds simply because I looked bad! I'd had a kitchen fire and my hair was a mess and I'd been up a good part of the night cooking Thanksgiving for a crowd -- but I hadn't broken a SINGLE rule and they only nabbed me because I was woman, alone, driving a western car.