Monday, March 23, 2009

Spies Here, Spies There, Spies Everywhere...


One of Katya's favorite games is Spy Alley, a great game for teaching logic and strategy. She loves having to keep a straight face as she tries to trick us about her allegiance... 

Sure, most of us have kids who love playing a good spy game, whether it's a board game, video game, or even good old make believe in the back yard...

What makes this all different is that I have friends who are actually be spied ON...

One woman I know comes home to find windows or cabinet doors open, with the only possible explanation being that someone wants to unnerve them -- just a reminder that someone is watching (and listening). 

Another woman experienced the open windows, drawers, etc... And then the creepiest thing happened. One day a hardcover edition of the Kama Sutra, in Russian, appeared on their nightstand... SHE didn't buy it... Her husband didn't buy it... !!!!!!!!! I KNOW!!! CREEPY!!!! 

Can you just imagine going in to your boss and trying to complain about that?! What a brilliant ploy, though... Talk about making the target unnerved and embarrassed... It wasn't until they learned that others had had the same thing happen to them that they had the courage to share their experience...

Such things must surely wear away at foreigners working here, making them acutely aware of or even influencing the choices they make... I'm so glad that none of this affects us; we're really "nobody" here. Anyone eavesdropping on our life would fall asleep more quickly than my kids do!

Hmm... Just a thought... I wonder if the fact that I even blogged about this will be noticed by "anyone" out there... At times things seem to be so different from when I was here in 1991, then at others, well, they haven't changed quite so much...

8 comments:

Tami said...

Scary stuff. How freaky to have someone going through your stuff!

Tina in CT said...

You'll have to tell me more about this over the phone.

I thought that sort of stuff went out with the break-up of the USSR. Guess I am naive.

kate said...

I routinely talk to the people on the phone or listening in the walls. Seriously. And I clarify statements to them, too.

The Expatresse said...

I was sure our phone was bugged in SK. I figured some poor fool had to wade through hours of mindless phone drivel . . . ha!

Christine said...

How scary! But the game sounds fun!

Anonymous said...

What is Kama Sutra?
Olga

Annie said...

Now that Aidan works in intelligence he believes that all of his phone calls are bugged. I laughed out loud at that....as we went one by one through all of Calvin's new words!

That would be odd to think someone was in your apartment when you were away. I have to be slightly amused at the Kama Sutra....what does it mean? They want to spice things up so their observations are less boring? They want to enjoy the fireworks between spouses when the book is discovered? Possibilities are endless, but nice to know the "watchers" have a sense of humor.

The Expatresse said...

How recently did these things happen?

Have you seen "The Lives of Others"?