Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Bubbles


Sunday afternoon we took the bubbles that the Easter bunny brought with us to Novodevichy Monastery. The girls had such fun with the oversized wands!


The park was crowded as people emerged from their apartments, enjoying one of the first "springy" days of the year... The passers-by had fun catching the clouds of bubbles and watching the girls as they danced around with their wands.


Natalia was very dramatic, gracefully putting on a show...


Chris also got in on the act!


Before the bubbles, the kids played a bit on the playground. Before we know it, they'll be too old for it! Boo hoo!


We first ate an Easter brunch at U Pirosmani, a gem of a Georgian restaurant that looks out on the monastery and park. The food is SOOOOO good! I absolutely adore their hachapuri (cheese bread), pomegranate sauce, eggplant rolls and mors (berry drink). 


Just some typical Moscow "let's go to the park" fashion... You can't quite tell from the picture just how high both pairs of heels were...


Title for this picture? "ENOUGH already!" These birds/ducks want the icy pond  to MELT!


Katya was so dashing on her scooter... I only let her go VERY slowly, though, since she has outgrown her helmet and we need to get a new one.


Natalia was simply overjoyed to be outside. We go outdoors all year round, but it's so much more pleasant when it's not too cold, gray or slushy...

We'll DEFINITELY visit this spot when our guests come in May! (Some friends we met when they were adopting their 7-year-old daughter here, the grandma and my mom are all going to take advantage of the low airfares over Victory Day weekend).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like very nice outing you had for Easter.
Is is still ice I see on the river?
Olga

Tina in CT said...

Looks like a great day and the sun was shinning. The view from the restaurant is lovely. I'm looking forward to going to the park and N....

The Expatresse said...

We tried to eat in that restaurant once . . . Clinton ate there once, you know. I was soooo excited.

Then they stuck us in a back room (with a view of the parking lot) when they were no where near full. Gave us the English menus (with, we suspect higher prices). Told us their credit card machine was broken ("CASH only!"). I only had 3000 rubles with me (over $100 US at the time), and I did some quick math and realized I could not afford for the 4 of us to eat lunch there. So, sadly, we walked out. Had lunch at a cafe just outside the monastery.

Can't believe that pond is still frozen. The ponds at the zoo were frozen last weekend, too.

And, thanks for all the useful information you put in your blog about kid-friendly outings. I used it to pick what to do yesterday. Good stuff and great photos.

Annie said...

It is a breathtakingly beautiful place! I was so glad to have been there....and curiously, I just read a Soviet short story set there, and it was so cool to be able to know exactly where they were. I read that same story in college, without any idea what it was like.

It always surprises me how much the weather in Moscow and the weather in Lansing parallel each other.

Our day yesterday looked just the same.

http://businessvartha.blogspot.com said...

Excellent blog, nice presentation and contents. I am so proud to Vote and just now I voted for your blog in blogger choice awards. Keep it up and write more please. I invite your valuable visit and suggestions about my blog, http://businessvartha.blogspot.com
Please check your account in bloggerchoice awards to see my vote. I hope you are so kind to vote for my blog also

Cindy Niles said...

I remember visiting this park and not having nearly enough time there. Makes me want to visit Russia again!!

Tina in CT said...

I like Katya "Kit Kitridge-ish" haircut.

garnet said...

I wondered if my eyes were deceiving me ready about the "spring-like" day. Wasn't that, er, a frozen pond in the background? We had frozen lakes in upstate New York but I don't think they generally lasted quite this long . . .

And I must ask, what are eggplant rolls? I do love eggplant so they sound really good.