Friday, April 24, 2009

Getting Ready for Guests, a.k.a. IKEA Run

Nice ride, 'eh? 

We made a trip to IKEA today so we could get ready to accommodate five guests... What a great excuse to replace the towels we've been using for nine years! (They are literally ripping). It was also time to replace some scraggly pillows... And we needed another light comforter to fit inside a duvet cover for guests.

Hmm, it occurs to me that some of you might not know what a duvet is; I didn't when I first came to Russia as a sophomore in college. I remember being so puzzled by the bedding I was handed! It's basically a sheet envelope that you put a blanket inside, using only that on top of you in bed, always keeping the blanket clean.

In any case, back to today's trip. I also took advantage of the opportunity to replace the rug in the kids' room, so thankful I'd limited myself to whatever cheap-o rug IKEA sold when I redid their decor. It will be completely sans guilt when I put the clean, but stained, old one at the spot where people pick through the "good" trash (it's a spot near the dumpster) and salvage what they want.

Asleep as we made our way to the check-out. 

It was quite an adventure fitting all our loot into the car; the trunk is still completely filled with our winter tires. I've had the flu all week and have been too weak to carry them upstairs. 

Oh, and Beverly Hills Chihuahua? Not nearly as bad as I'd expected! We actually enjoyed it. I try to take Natalia to as many movies as I can to force her to watch in Russian; when we watch a dvd, she insists on watching the English version. It's good for her confidence to know she can understand the story on her own. Perhaps we liked the movie so much because it was in Russian? Not quite as cheesy when dubbed? (The language nerd in me does delight in seeing how they translate Spanglish into Russian...)

Having an IKEA in Moscow is just sooo wonderful... I don't take it for granted one single bit... I am so incredibly thankful... I remember living here without it, and the prices are so fab... It used to me be my big box of refuge our first years here. Household necessities PLUS free childcare! I'll never forget my disbelief the day Katya was too tall to go into the ball pit room... It was the "Oh, my... My baby is growing up..." moment most moms feel on the first day of school... 

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT!?!?!? The Ikea ballpit was FREE!!!!!!!!!!????????????!!!!!!!

Now you tell me..........!!!!!!!

it was always so packed with kids (and em was so small) that i never let her play in there - well, maybe once for a few minutes, but it was always so full. never knew it was free!!!!!!

miss you!
jeannie

Annie said...

I LOVED the blankets/duvets in Russia! So much so that I bought four of the heavy comforters in Ivanovo to bring back to put in duvet covers for our beds. We actually had duvets and fluffy down comforters, but somehow the HEAVY ones were so much more comforting. And knowing they are from our children's region is a plus...as is remembering the day I bought them.

Rob said...

Based on what we'd read on the Mega Mall website prior to our visit to Moscow, we were led to believe that there was a Mega Mall shuttle bus at the end of the green Metro line stop that comes every 10 minutes to take you there. We waited & searched for the bus for over an hour but never found it. We had foolishly braved a nasty snowstorm to venture out that day and had been pelted in the faces with snow & sleet all afternoon. Our toes were so frozen that we couldn’t feel them so we decided to call it quits and wind our way back through the confusing Metro tunnels back to the apartment we were renting on Arbat. It was a dismal failure of an afternoon.

But a few days later, our then-new friend (and former ex--pat) Dinia took pity on us and carted us out to the Mega Mall. We love Ikea here in the States and were downright ecstatic when we had the chance to visit the Moscow Ikea!

Not only that, but Dinia also took us to a Stockmann's that has (I believe) since closed. That was a terrific day all around!

Rachael said...

I hope you don't run yourself ragged preparing for our trip! (IKEA anywhere is exhausting I think!) You should be resting off that flu! Take care of yourself.

Sheryl said...

On his trip to Ukraine, my husband fell in love withe the duvet.

Tina in CT said...

12:40 Give me a call as I'm home from scrapping and up. Exciting puppy camp news.

Christine said...

How fun! I have yet to shop at an IKEA.

The Expatresse said...

I've not yet summoned the courage to venture to a Moscow IKEA . . . the thought of trying to drag my purchases home via public transportation is too daunting. The Spouse did do the magic IKEA bus once at Christmas time and barely survived to tell the tale.

BUT, my friend's husband is an architect for IKEA here so sometimes he brings me little treats when I ask. I got two umbrellas from him recently . . .

But I love IKEA. We had it in Slovakia, and I really appreciated it.

Tina in CT said...

Please call.

Tina in CT said...

Please call me about ordering from Lands End. I can't get through.

Carolynn and Steve said...

I'm so excited for your guests! How much fun it has been for you getting ready for them---thanks for sharing with us!

Anonymous said...

Could you spare me a moment? buy clomid jcb http://wiki.answers.com/Q/User:Med-help buy clomid on line over night Thanks.

I haven't seen you for weeks. 50 buy clomid mg tablet buying clomid
buy generic clomid Remember me to your wife.

Anonymous said...

Good afternoon! order zithromax 1g oral suspension http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/tentology.net/buy_zithromax_en-us.html order zithromax non-prescription Thank you. d

Are you very busy at the moment? order zithromax no perscription order zithromax uk
order zithromax online Here's to you! v

Anonymous said...

May I ask you a question? order diflucan 100 mg prescription http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/tentology.net/buy_zyrtec_en-us.html order diflucan without prescription You're not in a hurry, are you? d

I haven't seen you for weeks. order diflucan online order discount diflucan online
order discount diflucan online Good-bye! t