Saturday, May 23, 2009

Bloggers' Night Out!

Next on our list? Get Katherine's blog published in Aeroflot's magazine, too!

Last night was the first meeting of the Blogging Moscow Moms! A group of us met through our blogs, but had never met in person until then. (Dina and I knew each other, though, having gotten together once she arrived in Moscow from Africa). Dina's great sister-in-law also joined us, and was happy to take our picture from the restaurant's roof.

Katherine, our most recently arrived member of the group, is still getting used to living here and we decided to surprise her with a Girls' Night Out. Expatress brought her flowers, we got to meet her incredibly precocious (and precious) three kids before dragging her out into the metro. 

Oh, how blog-worthy it would have been had we actually lost her in the Oktyabrskaya metro station... which we almost did... right after she talked about how daunting taking the metro on her own was...

Or, it might have been blog-worthy to take a picture of her poor feet in her pretty sandal heels... as we ran to catch trains and schlepped through rain puddles upon exiting... (So sorry for that one, K... Having been here for five years, "heels" were on my brain and I just wasn't thinking clearly...)

Or, we wish we'd managed to take a picture of the Russian high school seniors as they swarmed around the city in their retro black school uniforms (with the girls wearing the white aprons and huge white hair bows) and their "Graduate" sashes... 

Expatress was quite relieved to find out that, no, Russian 11th grade girls aren't expected to raid s*x shops to find their sometimes disturbing "school girl" costumes -- that the uniforms in adult sizes magically appear in regular shops in time for graduation. Glad to clear that one up, E -- but I agree that the effect can still be unsettling... Especially when the girls pair their get-ups with 4" heels that leave American mouths gaping on the floor! (I wrote about last year's "Last Bell" Graduation ceremony here. I was so busy with this year's ceremony all day, up until our dinner, that I haven't had time to write about it yet. I'll get to it later). 

Instead we just laughed and laughed, and enjoyed a fantastic dinner at Darbar --  the best Indian restaurant in town with an AMAZING view of the city (it's on the top floor of the Sputnik Hotel on Leninsky Prospect)

Now I'm off for Natalia to meet all the kids in her first grade class and the women who will be her teachers. Fun!

7 comments:

Susan said...

Thank you so much for that Tamara. Katherine appreciated it more than you will ever know. So does her mom")

The Expatresse said...

Oh, you "beet" me to it! And said it all so well.

Anonymous said...

*screams* It was so fun!

Dina

katbat said...

I had a blast! what a great group of ladies!! thanks so much for planning this - great food - great company - what could be better?

Christine said...

How fun! I think it would be musch easier for me to live in another country if I had great friends like all of you! Sounds like you guys has a wonderful time!

Annie said...

I would have worn heels too. It took me five trips, but this past trip to Russia I vowed I'd wear heels. Now, my version of "heels" is pretty tame, but it was a magnificent sacrifice in the interest of appearing to "fit in" nevertheless. Though, I'd do better to try to fit in as a Babushka, now I think of it.

I am SO exasperated that Alla send Viktor in her stead. I wanted you two to meet, for some reason. But I know she is preparing to go to Latvia, and it is nice enough for her to worry about getting the things to Nadia before she leaves.

Thank you very much for adding a few things. You are so sweet. I still hope so much that I can bring Sergei to see her some day. (Soon...I hope....so much.)

Tina in CT said...

What a great evening out you blogging ladies had - very thoughtful to kidnap K for the evening.