Thursday, May 28, 2009

Honoring Our Professor


I've been trying to figure out a way to honor our much-loved Russian professor from college who passed away this month...  I wasn't quite sure what to do... until today.


Chris and I are donating these children's books to the Russian Department of our college in his memory. It's so fitting... The independent studies that I did with him were in children's literature, his father wrote children's books, and he once worked as the editor of a famous Russian children's magazine that featured children's poetry and fairy tales...

I chose books that are accessible to students in the first two years of Russian study, ones that could be worked into the classroom to illustrate specific vocabulary or grammatical points. Our university has an exceptionally strong first-year language program, where students have daily classes with both a professor and a student teaching assistant. I would have loved to have had such books available when I was working as a T.A. for the department!

Oh -- and the choice of the full series of "Olivia" books? Well, not only are they delightful and full of excellent grammar/vocabulary... but they also feature a spirited little piglet who in so many ways resembles his granddaughter when she was little! He and his wife delighted in her misadventures!

8 comments:

Ju said...

Oh that's a great idea! It's really nice of you to honour him in such a way!

Tina in CT said...

What a perfect way to honor Lev. I know how you loved children's books in foreign languages and adding them to your collections. The college's Russian dept. will be so appreciative.

So much more meaningful that a floral arrangement.

Carolynn and Steve said...

What a great way to honor a teacher by "paying it forward" to future students.

The Olivia books are some of my very favorites--perhaps because I identify so much with her. So cool to see them in Russian!

Rachael said...

What a great idea.

Anonymous said...

My god,
I just realized looking at your post second time that I forgot about Agnia Barto.
It is unbelievable.
The students will benefit greatly from this collection.
Olga

Annie said...

How lovely! What a beautiful thing to do.

You have inspired me to actually write to Professor Sampson and his wife (MY beloved Russian professor and his wife who taught me to love the language and literature as a high school student). I found his address....!!! First hurdle jumped.

upsidedown said...

hey tamara)
so sad about your professor(
cool new template)
btw, check out my new blog)

Cindy Niles said...

What a fantastic idea! That is a wonderful way to honor someone's memory.