Tuesday, May 26, 2009

In Memory of...

The beloved Russian professor who taught Chris and me throughout college passed away earlier this month, and I just found out... I'm so, so sad... He was an amazing poet, much loved by our nanny and respected by many others here in his homeland who happened to learn that we had been fortunate enough to study with him. 

He even once tutored the woman who founded the school where I work...

I first met him the summer before my senior year of high school, and he and his wife walked me down the path of learning Russian...

His grandkids never learned Russian, and it meant so much to him to hear mine recite poems he knew as a child, babbling on in a language that he and his wife had introduced into our lives. I hope those special times when we visited him meant as much to him as they did to me. I hope he really knew how much we appreciated and loved him.

It's partly in homage to him and his wife that our girls have Russian names...

I would figure out a way to get back to the USA for his memorial service, but I can't because I'll be chaperoning a school trip then and unable to leave my students. How I wish I could go... Then again, the fact that I can't honor my teacher because I'll be teaching would have made him smile. 

Chris and I will contribute a letter to be read at the ceremony, as requested by the Russian Department...

7 comments:

Susan said...

So sorry, may his memory be eternal....

The Expatresse said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

But what a lovely post.

Tina in CT said...

I'm sorry that you and the girls will not get to see Lev this summer when you visit the campus. I know how often you spoke of Lev and his wife.

katbat said...

I am so sorry - I echo my mom - may his memory be eternal - I will light a candle for his family.

Anonymous said...

I am really sorry to hear the news about your teacher. I think we met them both, lovely people.
Did not they have a license plate "Kareta" on their car?
Olga

Anonymous said...

Now, after I read all the comments:
in Russian you usually wish -
Pust zemlya emy buded puchom
(wish the earthy grave will be like down one for him)
Olga

Annie said...

You make me feel I should look up my wonderful Russian professor and his wife (who taught me Russian in High School). They'd be horrified at the state of my Russian, but so glad about the kids and my passionate love for the country.

You are honoring him by being "his" kind of teacher.