Friday, May 8, 2009

Our Friends Arrived and Off We Went!

Will keep editing! Started to do it now, getting all the pictures in the proper order, only to have Natalia wake up. If I don't get her busy by letting her go to webkinz.com, I'm afraid she might wake up someone else. (Every room is filled with sleeping people -- except for where the dining table is). I WILL ADD COMMENTARY ABOUT YESTERDAY AT SOME POINT; I'll let you know when I've done so by mentioning it in a post.


IN PROGRESS. WAY TOO TIRED TO ACTUALLY ARRANGE THESE PICTURES AND HAVE ANYTHING COHERENT TO SAY ABOUT THEM. 

I'm sticking these photos up here to appease those of you eager to see pictures from everyone's first day together during this visit. After getting back from the airport, we picked up Katya from her school and then went to Gorky Park, to Chaihona -- a cool Uzbeki restaurant, up to October Square, to Danilovsky Monastery, to Ogo-Gorod (Mir Dyetstva) to make their cool paper sculptures, then back home again. All using the subway/tram/our own feet. 

The kids are getting along wonderfully, like old friends. Katya P is using more Russian than expected and is ticked pink to be here. She cracks us up all the time! 

There's lots of fun stuff to write, but my eyes are burning from lack of sleep...

It has been a LONG day. Long, but wonderful!!!

































































15 comments:

Francie said...

Thanks for the pictures! So cute! Glad they all made it safe!

Francie said...

P.S. You might want to take off their last name!!!

Annie said...

Oh! We were at Detski Mir with Alla...

I'm so glad Katya is speaking Russian.

There is that blissfully lovely May in Moscow weather - I hallucinate about it.

Thanks for sharing!

Tami said...

YAY! YAY! YAY! So glad you're all together. The pictures are awesome...and excited to hear that Katya is using her Russian. Tell every HI for us! :)

Natalie said...

You guys are going to have so much fun! Poor little Jack, all those girls. I guess it will be like it is at home, with all his aunties. I guess you are either not as tired as Rach, or you're more of a trooper, or just used to the slow picture upload, because you outdid her with the pictures. Thanks. Like to see them. Have a fun weekend, or week, or however long it is that you guys will all be together.

katbat said...

great pics! looks like you are all having a great time!

MoscowMom said...

Francie! Woops! Thanks for pointing that out! I was way too tired to be blogging last night...! :-)

Rachael said...

Francie: Tamara definitely had more stamina than I. And, she not only outdid me with the posting, she outdid me with the picture taking too. We both lugged our big camera around ALL day: I took 82 pictures, she took 168. And, I didn't even realize we had been to October Square until I read her post this morning. I just thought we had gone to some random park to see the Victory day set-up preparations! We walked and we walked and we metroed, and we bused, and believe it or not, the kids were troopers! No meltdowns, and they're still sleeping like rocks this a.m. (well, mine are -- hers are up and ready to go.)

Jojo, Julz, Jules said...

What fun! I need to go back to see how you all know each other...I know Granny is there, but now I need to find out the Rachel Connection? Friend? Former Expat, I think? Adoptive mom?
OK, someone?

kristin said...

Looks like a blast!
I wish you could export the desert! It looks so good!

Annie said...

Some random park! You crack me up!

Room to Grow said...

Looks like a good time! I'm so jealous!

Lori said...

If that picture of Tina and my mom doesn't scream TOURIST than I don't know what does.
Looks like you all are having a great time, the pictures are really neat too.
What's with the last one? Looks so yummy!
Hope your all having a fab time, I almost wish I'd come too, but i don't think a 6 week old and a 15 month old could keep up with you guys.

Anonymous said...

looks like you all are having fun ; ) yes, please update us on who is there and what the connection is, not that i know the others, but just to keep up...i'm nosy!!! ; ) we just got back from camping, going to mow grass now.....

miss you!
jeannie

Tina in CT said...

Cast of characters:

Rachael and Katya - Met Tami at Hard Rock on the Old Arabat in April 2007 when R & K had just arrived that morning from St. P to finalize K's adoption. Struck up converstion, Tami invited them home to dinner and they ended spending the next 3 days doing things in Moscow. Tami started reading Rachael's blog and started blogging herself. Tami started reading Rachael's mother's and sisters' blogs and emailing Rachael.

Jack - Rachael's son

Cecelia - Rachael's mom. She and I met March 2008 when she was in MA on business and my girlfriend and I drove from CT to meet her for dinner at a historic inn. I'd been reading her blog and we started emailing.

Tina - Tamara's mom

Hope this is helpful. - Tina