Saturday, May 16, 2009

You Go, Girl! (And Let's Hope Our Other Girl Can "Go," Too...)


Katya won a gold medal this morning in a Kids' Swimming Competition at our gym. She has made such progress this year! They timed each child doing a lap (or two) and then ranked the kids by age. 


I wish Natalia hadn't had such a temper tantrum that I hadn't had to leave her behind at home; she would have done very well in the competition, too...



We didn't know what to expect we got home afterwards; I thought Natalia might react jealously and angrily when she would see Katya's trophy and medal. Kudos to Natalia, however... When we walked in she ran up to hug her sister, jumping up and down with praise. 

It has been a very rough week for Natalia... I really hope she can pull it together so she can still join Katya and me on the three-week long school trip to Europe in June... I've already paid for Natalia's expenses, but if she can't go, she can't go... I will be very busy working throughout the trip and I can't be dealing with inappropriate behavior while teaching and supervising junior high schoolers...

4 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Congrats to Katya! She is swimming so well and I'm so proud of how her accomplishment! She looks so proud in the picture with her medal. Reminds me of you when you were little and entered races at the beach.

Lori said...

Poor Natalia, sounds like it must be so hard for her to be good. I hope for her sake she can, so she gets to go on vacation with you.
Congrats to Katya on the medal! Way to go.

Annie said...

Does she get dysfunctional when over-stressed? That's Nastya's problem. Only by shutting down all of her activities sometimes, can I "get her back". Probably you did just the right thing. The competition might have undone her, whereas the quiet time helped her calm herself.

kate said...

Congrats to Katya! I hope Natalia can go on the school trip. Where are you guys headed? If you need a babysitter for Natalia, you can send her up here for three weeks.