Saturday, August 1, 2009

Bizzarr-o World... Oh, No, I Mean, Sheremetyevo Airport...


I took this picture when we left Moscow for the USA earlier this summer... Security was beyond lax, jarringly so... No one looked in anything we checked, and they didn't even really pay attention when our bags were scanned. Didn't have to explain any of the electronics that usually elicit multiple examinations...

Then we got to the pre-boarding area, where liquids were actually allowed. Not only were they allowed, but they were also available. In this vending machine. Available to all. At least for once the cans of beer were outnumbered by non-alcoholic choices!

Then you land in New England, were no alcohol is sold after 8 p.m. and not on Sundays. Funny, I started to add "even to adults," only to realize, "Oh, yeah! In America we only sell alcohol to adults. No need to clarify!"

6 comments:

The Expatresse said...

HA!

I was trying to find a parking place in a garage recently and ALMOST just parked wherever I wanted . . . you know what I mean: there's a big space that's not marked with lines as designated parking . . . but why not park there!?

I didn't, but I thought for a moment how Russian I was in my approach. I mean, why NOT? There was room. I would not have been blocking anyone.

Happymom4 aka Hope Anne said...

WOW! When we flew out of Sheremtyevo in 2005 after adopting our Dd, we were grilled and examined again and again and again. I've never, ever had such thorough security as we had then! And after we were through security, we were stuck waiting for over 4 hours (not knowing what was going on!) in a crowded waiting room with no food, no drink and no restrooms! It was terrible. They brought a dog in there that sniffed all of us and all our carry ons . . . but no one would tell us any thing about why our flight was delayed. Trying to do that with our new Dd who was 5 years and a infant who was 3 months old was VERY challenging. We were thankful for the snacks and water bottles we had in our carry on, but it was not enough.

MoscowMom said...

Beer in the vending machine - only in Russia. No wonder they have such an alcholism problem. - Your Conservative New England Mother

katbat said...

I love the beer in the vending machine!! classic!

Anonymous said...

In Japan they sell beer in the wending machines.
Olga

Clarks in Moscow said...

You almost manage to make Sheremetyevo sound like an acceptable place. Once you are through security it is not too bad, but passport control is a nightmare. Everytime I go through, my poor passport is examined asif I were a criminal (just because some of the binding is coming loose). So what, I am a foreigner trying to leave the country.
And then try to find lost luggage!! Give me Domodedovo anytime. Sheremetyevo compares to some of my worst airports - like Lagos.