Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Vegetable Stands


There are stands like this all over Moscow from May until the end of September. It's unfortunate that we miss a good chunk of that time! They're so CONVENIENT!

Another plus: these days you don't have to bring your portable radiation counter with you! The produce isn't coming from anywhere near Chernobyl; it's mostly from places like Adzherbaijan, Georgia, etc. 

In any case, now I'm here and I can pick up some produce as I walk Katya home from school. If only I had more time to actually cook these days...!

When we first moved here, these stands provided my kids' first introductions to fruits they had never seen before: varieties of currants and berries that were so juicy! Some were sweet, some were VERY tart, but they all made it into my pâte brisée crusts...

4 comments:

The Expatresse said...

We just have the permanently parked trucks. And one woman outside the metro with a few items.

Hevel said...

I remember in the early to mid 90's when we first moved to Hungary we had monthly trips over to Ukraine taking produce and trading them for various things, like guitars and pianos.

These produce stands are so nice, I totally missed them when living in the States.

Rachael said...

We have a vegetable stand just around the corner from our house (this part of Michigan is farm country). I'll SO miss it in a few weeks. I often stop by on my way home from work to pick up something fresh for dinner.

Lori said...

What a beautiful display - it makes one hungry!