Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Our Elevator...

Oh my Gosh! I just got home, and look who walked out of our elevator while I was waiting to get in!!!!


Nikolai Tsiskaridze!!

YUP! Last May, when my mom and my blog friends from Michigan were visiting, we saw him dance the lead in Giselle at the Bolshoi Ballet!

I instantly recognized him, and like a blundering idiot, momentarily forgot his name as I stood there kind of flabbergasted. I'm used to old ladies coming out of our elevator. NOT HIM.

I awkwardly said, "You dance at the Bolshoi!"

He smiled graciously... And then I added, "We saw you dance in May and it was one of the most magical nights of our time living in Russia!"

All of this was said in Russian, but he smiled again and replied, in English, "Thank you so much!"

Even the elevator smelled nice when I got in... (And that's really saying something...!)

8 comments:

Rachael said...

Ooh, I'm so jealous! That is really cool. Was he wearing eye liner and tights? (hehe) No, seriously, what WAS he wearing?

MoscowMom said...

He looked great! Stylish jeans, wool overcoat, scarf, leather shoes. Stylish without looking "Euro-gay," a common style here. He seemed tall to me and was quite striking in person--WITHOUT any make-up.

Anonymous said...

Wow,
that is incredible! It is funny how you can forget everything when surprised.
I watched the movie you posted on your blog in spring about him. He is a wonderful dancer.
May be he will be your neighbor soon!
Olga

Tina in CT said...

I also am jealous. Was he hard to recognize without all the make-up and with being in regular clothes?

Did you tell him that your mother saw him also on "60 Minutes"? (just kidding)

Anonymous said...

I keep wondering why did he reply in English. As far as I can recall, even from your college years, you do not have any accent in Russian. Your Russian always sounded to me very natural and clear. Strange...
Olga

The Expatresse said...

How cool.

Don't you love those gobsmacked moments when your chin drops open and your brain spins madly and you can't think of what to say? Except you pulled it out. And eloquently, too (not to mention IN Russian!).

Kudos!

Tina in CT said...

Maybe he knew you were American by your clothes.

Elle J said...

How fantastic!! So does he live in your building or dating some one in your building? Do you think you'll be bumping into him more often? See if he'll pose for a picture for your blog. :)