Friday, October 23, 2009

Quarantine=Russian Equivalent of a "Snow Day"


My kids have never had a snow day. Russian schools (at least in Moscow) don't close because of some snow. Ever.

But today the big news was that the elementary school is officially closed next week--for the whole week! Out of 19 kids in Katya's class, only SIX were present yesterday. Natalia's class usually has 11, and there were only five present!

Katya is thrilled, Natalia is NOT happy. With all the germs floating around school, they're both semi-sick, though... The enforced "time out" will do them good before they fly to Colorado later in the week.

My first thoughts, of course, were: "NO SCHOOL? DOES THIS ALSO APPLY TO THE HIGH SCHOOL?!!!"

Alas, no. Ugh. Especially since I'm still not 100% better and really vulnerable to the plethora of germs...

I bet most students in the USA don't realize that teachers love those unexpected snow days just as much as kids do...

Added later: This isn't because of swine flu; it's simply that teachers and kids are dropping like flies from nasty viruses!

14 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Swine flu?

Did all of you get your swine flu and regular flu shots?

Tina in CT said...

Second thought - What good does it do to just have one grade cancelled when the kids are intermingle as the school is small?

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many students are absent in the High school classes?
May be the administrators think that small children are more vulnerable to the flu. I assume it is a flu.
We have some school closures here too due to the Swine flu.
Hope you stay out of it.
Olga

Rachael said...

The middle school in our town was closed all last week for swine flu outbreak. On Friday, many kids were sent home sick from my kids' school too. The vaccinations here are in short supply, but thankfully I got my kids done just in time.

Hope you all stay well!

Tami said...

UGH! Sorry about that. Sounds like you need the days off just as much as the girls! Hope you stay well.

garnet said...

No snow days here. In fact, as a teacher I've only ever had one despite living in a place with plenty of snow, because we were a boarding school. One year they did have kids come back a day late from vacation because of snow.

Here in Nairobi some of the schools will have riot days when it is closed due to riots. We started a week late the year they had election troubles. But that's it. I could certainly appreciate having an unexpected day off at some point. Like right about now!

Tina in CT said...

I read the post too quickly and thought only Katya's class was off next week. Wish the HS was also off.

Please try to get swine flu shots. I worry so!

Anonymous said...

I am reading an article about flu and immunization and medications in the last (November) issue of the Atlantic Monthly. It is very interesting and very confusing article.
I recommend it to everyone. Sort of puts your thoughts in perspective. I will finish it as soon as Prairie Home Companion is off the air and I can concentrate on the article.
Good luck with the swine flu.
Olga

Christine said...

A few of my kids are sick. It is that time of the year. Hope your girls stay healthy.

Natalie said...

NO snow days? that's so unfair. You guys have so much of it! We had a "snow day" last year in our county because it was so cold!! yeah, I couldnt figure it out. I guess because it was too cold for the kids to stand at the bus stop outside!! Crazy. These American teachers will do anything to get out of work...lol.

Tina in CT said...

Sure hope the morning finds the girls feeling better.

Don't fall over, but I actually am using my vacum (and you're not arriving in a few days). Amazing, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

http://mananapuedessertu.blogspot.com

Katya said...

Quarantine day just doesn't have the same romantic ring to it...

Annie said...

My children's school closed for the same reason - but only for a day. Still, enough to make them quite pleased.