Friday, November 6, 2009

Update on Lyalya

It wasn't as simple as just giving him a laxative. The clinic our babysitter originally took him to wanted to operate. Having been in that clinic before, I did *not* want him undergoing surgery there. Good doctors? Probably... But NOT clean according to US standards. Definitely not "Western." Our poor babysitter...

She then had to take him to my friend's veterinary clinic, after having spent the whole day at the first one... They did some initial work there, and now there's a question of his liver being involved! Yikes. Tomorrow morning they'll redo all tests and surgery will be done at that time if needed.

I'm still so worried!

Hmm. In the meantime, tomorrow's my last day in Edinburgh and I need to make sure I find one dandy present for our babysitter...!

I already scored some really cool dinosaur fleece hats for my best friend's sons back in Moscow... She has been a life saver throughout this, lending her cat carrier to our babysitter, putting money on my phone after these calls drained my balance, and fronting all the money for whatever care is needed... I feel so blessed to have such wonderful friends in my life. Our babysitter considers Lyalya a part of our family, and she loves us all--and my friend Julie is my rock of sanity and unconditional support in the midst of Moscow mayhem!

7 comments:

Tina in CT said...

I worried about his being in boarded in a vet's there as the standards are not what we are used to here in the States. I sure hope he doesn't need surgery. Is he at home and is Amina with him?

MoscowMom said...

Don't worry, Mom. He's not spending the night there. He's at home with Amina. She hasn't let him out of her sight since she noticed he was ill.

Lynne in CT said...

Hope you feel better soon. Sounds like you are having a very nice time in Scotland despite the cold/damp weather.

Sorry to hear about Lyalya. We went through something similar with Sylvester in 1992 when he swallowed some knotted string and needed an operation to the tune of $800. Then we just recently spent $2,000 on Benny's heart condition. I hope your kitty will be OK!

Tina in CT said...

I hope his liver is OK too and he passes whatever he swallowed. Poor, poor Lyalya.

I hope the girls don't know about his being sick.

How about a nice hat and scarf set (mohair) for Amina. Scotland is the place to buy anything wool.

Keep us all posted about Lyalya. Thank goodness you have Amina and that she cares for your cats so much too. Poor Asya must wonder what is up.

The Expatresse said...

Poor kitty!

Annie said...

Good luck with your kitty. Ours one time ate a needle and thread. It was just dreadful - especially when she ended up with thread coming out her rear end and the needle still in there. Scared me, disguested me, horrified me, all of the above. But, she made it through even that. Gives me shivers to think of it. The vet was just amused.

garnet said...

What a blessing to have friends to help out back in Moscow what way.