Friday, January 29, 2010

Random Humor

This is the toilet paper they use in our high school. The brand? "Mягкий Знак." As anyone who knows Russian can translate for you, the "мягкий знак" (myagkii znak) is this character in the Russian alphabet: "ь", аs opposed to this character, "ъ," the "твёрдый знак" (tvyordii znak). They're not letters; instead they influence how you pronounce the letters before and after them.

Here's where the humor comes in. You just know that some bored geek at the toilet paper factory wet his pants (luckily he works at a toilet paper factory!) the day he came up with this product's name... "Myagkii znak" means "soft sign," as opposed to "tvyordii znak," the "hard sign."

A Russian friend was looking through some photos on my computer and did a double-take when she saw I had pictures of toilet paper... I think that only nerdy Russophile blogger friends can understand why I just had to get a photo and write about it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is very funny and appropriate name for the toilet paper.
Olga

Jojo, Julz, Julianne said...

I am going to have to read and then read this post again..I don't think I will ever understand the written Russian Language. My goal is just to understand SOME of the language and try to speak in stores and such!!

Annie said...

I actually saw that brand when I was there last and laughed out loud. Craig said I only laughed because I was showing off I understood Russian and he didn't - so I'm glad you made me feel better about that!

Carolynn and Steve said...

I LOVE it! I have to admit that I took a picture of the same kind of TP when it was in our hotel in Kaluga in December. I then had to explain to Steve what it meant--he just shook his head and said, "interesting." You're right, it's a Russian language student thing, I'm afraid :-) My Russian is far from great, but it reminded me of Freshman year so much!