Sunday, January 3, 2010

Year of the...

С годом тигра

... Tiger!

Hmm... In light of our little American sports scandal, how à propos...

I just got this "postcard" from one of my fellow English teachers.

For some reason, Russians are REALLY big into the whole Chinese "year of the __" animal thing. It really shocks them that I don't know what animals my kids and I are. I once looked it up, but I don't remember...

They speak with such conviction about what it means to have been born under the sign of a particular animal, truly believing that it offers some insight into one's character, etc...

I'm often asked about my astrological sign, too, for similar reasons.

I've lost track of how many tigers we've been given over the past few weeks, in the form of key chains, stuffed animals, chocolates, stickers... You can find tigers here in just about any form, including traditional Gzhel porcelain!

OK. I've just been corrected by Katya. OF COURSE she is a dragon, which I OF COURSE should have known. After all, everyone in her class is a dragon... She doesn't, however, have any idea what being a dragon means...

I think it means she's adorable and smart.

11 comments:

Lisa said...

When I was in Russia on my court trip, it was December and the coming year was The Rat. It took FOREVER for me to figure out why all the NY decorations had mice/rats! I thought it was a Russian thing that I just hadn't heard of... but eventually I figured it out. lol

Tina in CT said...

A tiger sure is better than a rat, Lisa. I'd be the same as you wondering about all the NY decorations with mice/rats.

Yes, we saw zillions of tigers in every shape and form the past two weeks.

Anonymous said...

I am sure she will be adorable and smart under any sign.
Do you know what the year of Dragon means in Chinese?
Olga

Christine said...

Happy New Year!

Annie said...

This is a totally wonderful new header! I LOVE it!

Tami said...

Lisa must been doing her adoption about the same time we went to get Maddie, because I remember a lot of rat decorations as well. ;) Tigers are much better. And YES your daugher is brilliant! :)

Elli said...

Happy New Year!!!:)

The Expatresse said...

Hey, hey! *I'M* a rat. Luckiest sign in the zodiac.

Actually, the dragon is the luckiest . . . everyone wants their child born in the Year of the Dragon.

Rats gravitate towards shiny things . . . like money!

Katie (and Tony) said...

I LOVE the new layout! And thank you for sharing the beautiful pictures-houses, lights, skating. The one of your mom and girls is priceless!

What a wonderful opportunity for your family to live abroad as you do. Sometimes it isn't always fun and family is far away, but it is an adventure that will always be remembered! My hubby's company always advertises they have an opening in Moscow. Reading your blog makes me want him to take it...sometimes!

I have commented before-thank you for allowing me the read about my son's birth country through you. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Katie
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Mommy to Jack from Chelyabinsk and Grace from Poland

Melissa Q said...

looks likeyou had a great time with your mom. hooray. happy new year and happy epiphany. love to all.

AnnaI said...

LOL! Now I finally understand why my Russian correspondents demanded Year of the Tiger New Year's cards from Japan. I thought it was so odd, but it turns out that not really. :)