Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Oh, No...

What's wrong with this picture?


How many moms instantly saw this potentially heart-breaking disaster?! Look closely...


Yeah... Oh, poor kid, poor frog... Poor mom! I'll never forget what I went through the day Katya accidentally dropped her BELOVED rag doll (which I quickly learned was no longer made and impossible to replace) in Manhattan and I frantically retraced my steps to find it... It was spotted in a gutter by another mother who imagined the desperate child who might have lost it. She lifted it out and gave it to the shopkeeper nearby. Amazingly, I found it.

A year later, my mom spotted a brand-new version of the rag doll and we were elated to then have a "spare." Katya's first doll was literally falling apart by then, too. Katya, however, took one look at it and declared that she wanted nothing to do with it. "So, what? You're going to replace her because she's old? Is that why you had another baby?" (Natalia was a few weeks old). Gulp. The old baby and new baby happily co-existed from that day on.

7 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Oh I remember that hot, humid summer day walking along the streets of Brooklyn enroute to the diner for lunch when I spotted a new cone head baby in a store window. Do you still have the new one?

Rachael said...

Once when Kristen was 2 or 3, she had these two beanie babies, "Aaron" and...now I can't remember the other one's name, I'll have to ask her - "Valentina" I think. Anyway, we went for a walk in the stroller, went to the library, the park, etc. Got home, and Aaron and the other one were missing from the stroller. We retraced all our steps but no luck. She was so upset. I told her that I suspected they wanted to live in the library and always have good books to read. Then for years, every time we passed the library, Kristen would wonder what they were up to and if Aaron was still in there reading. =) It helps to think they are happy and not lying in a dirty ditch somewhere! =)

Tina in CT said...

That poor little stuffed frog in the dirty slush/snow and the hysterical child that is without said frog.

I remember how attached Katya was to cone head baby and it was the ugliest rag doll I've ever seen.

I don't remember her comment when we bought the new cone head baby.

Jojo, Julz, Julianne said...

We only have ONE thing that we can't leave the house without and that is a pillowcase of my youngest..
My oldest dragged her bitty baby to Russia and back and didn't lose one little item of clothes or anything else..I on the other hand lost my perfume at the security gate before I ever left DC, and then lost a brush, and about 10 chapsticks, and one of my favorite sweatshirts!!
I bet that doll belongs to a grownup!!
I am so glad you are feeling a bit better. I have missed your posts so much. Is your apartment dry or moist?? If it is too warm and dry do you think you could use a mister?? Just a thought since my big girl coughs a lot at night if her room is too hot..IDK. Just a thought??

Annie said...

Don't we all have some story like that? Aidan would hold onto little ribbons (he called them "mons") and he carried his mon everywhere, but occasionally one would get lost. We lived in a little town in Eastern Oregon then and I'd go into the post office, or the drugstore, and the person at the desk would reach under the counter, pull one out and ask, "Is this yours?" Always was.

garnet said...

I remember getting mad, I think, and throwing a beloved toy out of the car window and then being heartbroken that I couldn't get it back. But what I first thought of when I saw this was the Laura Ingalls story when she is forced to give up her beloved doll to a child who didn't care about it and later finds it frozen in the snow. I always hated reading that part because it made me so upset.

Annie said...

Garnet! Exactly! I thought of Laura's doll, Charlotte, immediately, too!