Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Time to Take Down the Trees...


Two weeks ago a friend and I took our kids to the kids' brunch at the Hard Rock Café. As we arrived, a worker was almost done dismantling their "tree." Such metal structures are what you see here in Moscow--they then get covered with fake branches that can be any color of the rainbow. Plain old green? Forget about it! Try purple, hot pink, turquoise, turquoise...!

As a sign of the times, though, we had far fewer "yolki" (holiday trees) all over Moscow this year. There wasn't even one at Lyubianka! Of the trees I did see, many were actually advertisements, sponsored by beer brands or banks. The ornaments all featured their logos, and the "skirts" were mini billboards. We've had trees like that for the past few years—but last year I noticed more trees advertising cheerier items such as Ferrero Rocher chocolate balls...!


This tree was in front of the Счётная Палата, the Russian Treasury. Appropriately enough, the tree was sponsored by Sberbank.


"Sberbank: New Joys! It's important to us, that it's important to you."

On a personal note, I should confess that our apartment is still completely decked-out for the holidays. I did put away the holiday-themed hand soap dispenser and hand towels in the bathroom, but that has been the extent of it... In order to put away the tree and all the ornaments, I have to remove all the stacked boxes in our entryway, repack everything, then stack it all up again carefully. I just don't have the energy.

Heck, I'm doing well, though... Last year the kids begged me to keep up the tree until March... I figured, "Bleh... Why not... They don't have a yard, so if this is the only tree they get, fine..."

2 comments:

Tina in CT said...

You're so right. When I was in Moscow your first Xmas, there seemed to be fancy trees everywhere.

Tina in CT said...

You could have left out the polar bear soap dispenser all winter and the hand towels I bought you are winter themed.