Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Watching the Olympics


When I was growing up, life used to come to a standstill during the Olympics. It was great! I have such wonderful memories of curling up on the couch with my screaming, screaming for our team! It's a real let-down to watch the Olympics here in Moscow... The events aren't on when I'd like to see them, the US athletes are always covered, and there aren't any of the "behind the scenes" commentaries... I also really miss hearing coverage by our former US Olympians...

This year we can't even watch ANY of the Olympics. Our cable decoder is broken and it can't be fixed until after the Games end. Without cable, you can't get any television reception at all, so.... You just forget about it. But it makes me really sad! Trying to catch coverage on youtube just isn't the same... I want my girls to have these special Olympic memories, too.

We want to take them to Sochi 2014, and I want it to really MEAN something to them...

In any case, I've been able to get the figure skating coverage through itunes. Katya got up last night while I was watching the men's long program, and I let her stay with me for a while... Even Asya got in on the act, but she was a bit frightened by our cheers and groans...


We're watching the skating through our Apple TV, a "magical" little white box you hook up to your television and internet modem, allowing you to rent movies from the US, purchase TV episodes, watch free programs and youtube, and access your whole itunes library through your television. For those of us living overseas, it's great. Through it, I discovered "Make It or Break It," a great show on ABC family about elite gymnastics, and we often rent movies.

During the Olympics, it's allowing me to watch the figure skating coverage with Scott Hamilton and Peggy Fleming's commentary. AWESOME! I wish they offered other events, too, though...

3 comments:

Annie said...

We don't watch the Olympics either....because my children are now in "regular school" and have HOMEWORK. Homework seems to destroy just about every opportunity for family life....well, certainly for us when I have to work all weekend. It breaks my heart. I remember watching the winter Olympics in that "wouldn't miss a minute" way when Aidan and Lydia were little - but they went to Montessori school, where the philosophy is sensibly that family time is learning time too.

My younger children's memories will be of frustrated parents, angry outbursts from overtired siblings....

A little off the subject outburst from me - but your post brought back such fond memories that I OUGHT to be able to make for my adopted kids, too. They probably need them even more.

Katya said...

The coverage here in Oz is terrible. They don't start it until 9:30 at night so unless kids are home during the day they would miss the whole olympics. Plus they seem to cover events like bobsled and skeleton ad nauseum but barely show the skating... I never thought I would miss US coverage.

Tina in CT said...

Oh how I miss watching it with you too! I wish you all were here to watch it with me! So many happy family memories whenever I watch the Olympics each time. Your non-sports mother watches all the events and gets excited over bobsled too. I know exactly where I was when our US hockey team beat the crap out of Russia in Lake Placid. I still get excited seeing that final goal in reruns. The Olympics really turns something on in my brain.

The up close and personal coverage has been really good this year and I love the segments on Canada that Mary Carrillo is doing. The one last night on the blind sled dog was so good. Liesel liked seeing all the huskies mushing and had grandiose dreams.

Seeing Peggy Fleming, Dick Button, Scott Hamilton and Dorothy Hamil in all the segments in the pre-Olympic coverage each evening is wonderful. Dick Button sure doesn't age and looks great.

I'm eagerly awaiting more of the long program coverage tonight and have my kleenex ready for Joannie Rochette's performance. I really hope she does well and medals.