Sunday, March 28, 2010

Brilliant & Barren Harvard Women...


Another university, another Russian superstition! We ate in one of the Harvard dining rooms before our tour, and this row of students studying instantly caught my eye. My students also noticed! This would NEVER happen in a Russian university. First of all, the floor wouldn't be quite so clean... Secondly, you wouldn't really have wifi in the building...

And lastly? Why, everyone of course knows that if you sit on a cold stone, on the floor, or on any cold surface, you harm your reproductive organs.

I guess I'll be bringing back a whole bunch of reproductively-challenged students... The longer we're here, the more I see them sitting around indiscriminately!

Oh... And shhhhhhhh! They've even had ice in their drinks! (Another Russian superstition: drinking cold drinks will make you sick).

6 comments:

garnet said...

The one time I ever got bumped up to business class was when we were flying the Romanian airline TAROM back from Bucharest. The only thing we really noticed different was the fact that the flight attendant didn't act horrified when we requested ice in our drink like the woman had in economy (and then drop in one little cube that promptly melted). I guess he was used to crazy American businessmen.

On the other hand, my poor in-laws in the U.S. usually forget to request no ice in their water and then end up unable to drink it at restaurants.

Russian Life said...

Just wait until your student tell their parents about those kids sitting on the floor at Harvard! I bet this will make them think twice about considering their kids to THAT university.

Annie said...

I am sure we have our superstitions, too.... Surely it isn't just that Russians are "backward" or whatever.

Maybe ours are urban legends? I will have to ponder this.

I did suddenly remember my mom telling me that if I read without enough light my eyes would go bad. I suppose my eyes DID get worse, but I just don't think it was reading in dim light....but could it have been?

I certainly remember when I was a waitress at the Big Boy (NOT my favorite job ever)any British customers would take HUGE offense to the way we served tea (you know, the bag on the saucer and a pot of hot water). I recall being told firmly a couple of times that I should bring it brewed or brewing....I think that was it....I was too horrified at being yelled at by a customer to really figure out what was wrong.

Annie said...

BTW - I don't know if you get your e-mail there. They changed my e-mail and one of your addresses was eradicated, so I used the one on the blog... In any case, thank you SO MUCH for sending on the things from Alla. What a treasure-trove!

Natalie said...

I love to hear others appreciate the things we do that we take for granted. And NO wifi in a university building?

Tina in CT said...

You corrupted all the Russian girls and their grandmothers will not be happy.