Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Get in Line, Buddy...

Disgruntled Russian hotshot "biznyesmyen" marches right up to counter at Starbucks, interrupting the woman ordering her drink, plunks himself on counter, and demands the barista's attention.

DISGRUNTLED HOTSHOT: I seriously can't smoke here?!

STARBUCKS BARISTA: No.

DH: Are you kidding?

SB: No...

DH: Fine! (Visibly exasperated, but still choosing to grace the establishment with his presence). I'll...

SB: There's a line, Sir.

DH: And you expect me to get in it?

CHORUS OF PEOPLE WAITING IN LINE: YES!




Score one for the American way of doing things. Follow the rules, dude. Treat everyone with respect. If you don't like it, leave. No one cares how much your shoes cost or how fancy your watch is.

It pleased me to no end to see him later perched on his hard little wooden chair, drinking his coffee just like everyone else, jealously eyeing the plush chairs that some graduate students had snagged before he got there. Not everyone's happy with how the city's changing...

6 comments:

garnet said...

Hilarious! I really needed the laugh today. Thanks for sharing, though it is hard to imagine that someone would seriously act like that in front of others.

And I gain new appreciation for American no-smoking laws every time I go to Romania.

Rachael said...

Seriously? There's a coffee house/restaurant in Russia where you CAN'T smoke?! Yeah for that!

Jessica said...

Working in retail, I particularly enjoyed this post as I deal with these ppl every day lol

katbat said...

yay! I love it! I know starbucks, the new place that is popping up is koffein also is no smoking! and i think hleb and co too! nice to have a few choices.

Happymom4 aka Hope Anne said...

Too funny! That reminds me of when we were traveling to Khab. Russia in 2005 for visit #1 with our daughter we were adopting. I was almost 7 months pregnant with a bio surprise (yes, really!) and was standing in a longggg line in the Moscow airport when a airline agent came up, rattled at me in Russian and when I didn't respond, she grabbed my arm and propelled me up to the front of the line along with Dh. We stood meekly there, waiting for the gentelman ahead of us to complete his ticket check-in, when up came a Russian man and very loudly and heatedly began to fuss in Russian. The lady behind the counter bestowed a withering look on him, pointed at my very visibly preggo belly (even with all the winter garb!) and rattled away at him in Russian. He looked terribly ashamed--bowed his head at us, muttered to us in Russian and slunk off. I'm ASSUMING he was fussing about us jummping in (never mind that I was literally propelled!) and the ticket agent set him straight since I was obviously pregnant. Was an interesting part of our adoption. ;-)

thisisarussianlife@gmail.com said...

LOL! My husband always asks me "Why do you go to Starbucks with your friends?" as he thinks there are better places in Moscow to buy coffee. I tell him it is the only place you can go at 9:00 AM to drink a cup of coffee and not come out smelling like you have been in a bar. There are other places opening up with non-smoking...it is about time!