Saturday, May 1, 2010

May Day

The Arbat is so pretty with the Victory Day (May 9th) banners on all the lamp posts. I had to stop here for one of my errands today.

Today's one of those "glass is half full" days. It's May Day, a national holiday. The weather is GORGEOUS; it truly couldn't be a more perfect spring day.

But both of the girls are still sick, in no way well enough to leave the house and do anything...

I also still needed to make my weekly trip to stock up on groceries at Auchon, the discount French grocery store where shopping is a bit of a contact sport.

On top of that, I had to track down the special intestinal care cat food the doctors prescribed for Lyalya—and it took an hour and a half to finally get some!

The icing on the cake is that the burn on my hand is infected, so I had to go to the doctor's to get it checked out.

But you know what?

Most Muscovites have left town for the three-day weekend, so the roads were nearly empty! No traffic! The grocery store wasn't crowded, I had no trouble finding parking spots, and I didn't have to wait at all to see a doctor. I was also delighted to discover that a Starbucks has just opened in the complex where I go to that grocery store.

So sure, it took me five hours to get all of that stuff done—but I had no stress on the road, no cop stopped me to extort money (that usually happens on holiday weekends), and I had a latte in hand. The girls are bickering and they got into stuff while unsupervised when I was gone... But it's not getting to me since I know I have Monday off from work due to the three-day-weekend.

(It's understandable that they're testy; they've been cooped up home sick for a week and a half... And I didn't leave them home alone; their dad was here asleep. He, um, still hasn't gotten up and it's 5:40 p.m.... But he did have multiple all-nighters at work in the past few weeks).

4 comments:

Annie said...

Five years ago today I traversed the Arbat with my little Nastya....and saw soldiers marching, and brides and grooms.... It was delightful. And like this year, the weather was like the weather [undoubtedly] in Heaven. Wish I were there today.

Rachael said...

Love the picture of the Arbat...makes me nostalgic.

Hevel said...

I hope your girls get better soon!

I didn't know Auchan was in Russia... I worked for them for a very brief period in Hungary a few years back.

The Expatresse said...

There's a good pet supply store on Leningradsky Prospekt. Metro stop Aeroport. East side of the street . . .just past the MADI. Number 66, I think . . . go to the north side of the building and walk along the side to the entrance. It is in the basement. I got the "Touchy Bladder Rx" food there.