Saturday, May 15, 2010

"Respect Me!"


I wrote yesterday about the messages that popped up on cars to celebrate Victory Day... Yes, it's true that bumper stickers simply don't exist here—but I neglected to mention that the annoying suction-cup "Baby On Board" signs do. They're mainly sold by a British baby/children's store called Mothercare, and also bear their logo. (I don't mean to bash Mothercare; it's a great shop! It is, however, rather expensive for most of the Russian population. Think "Right Start" in the USA, without any sales at all and at European prices).

My guess is that most people see the signs and think, "Idiot! How much did you pay for that piece of plastic in that expensive store?" Half of those signs are also in English, meaning that a good chunk of Russian drivers don't even understand what they say!

I mean, seriously. Do those signs have any purpose in any country? Aren't you careful not to hit any car, since doing so could also put your own life in danger? Do they really accomplish anything other than distract you because you a.) read the sign, and b.) perhaps peek to see if you can spot the child?

That being said, you can imagine how well THIS sign is going over in Russia.

I. Kid. You. Not.


"Respect Me."

AAAAAAAAAARRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally, I wanted to walk over to this car and KICK it... But darn, I was wearing some beautiful heels...

I mean, really... Could you do anything worse to give women drivers a bad name? It's rough enough in this macho society to be a woman behind the wheel... To then put a RED DANGER SIGN on your car acknowledging that you need extra care is like shooting yourself in the foot.

A foot wearing a high heel.

8 comments:

pearly1979 said...

They have had the high heel one in Kazakhstan for quite some time I believe. I don't think they usually say "respect me" though, and were explained to us to be more of a warning: "Watch out! Woman driver!"

Tina in CT said...

The Russian women that buy those signs to display on their cars must be real idiots.

Guess there are the same idiot breed of parents there as here with the "Baby On Board" signs suction cupped to their rear windows. As you know, one lives across the street from me.

I often wondered if the parents displaying those signs think you'd not be careful around their cars if they didn't have their "Baby On Board" stupid sign.

Can you tell that I hate those things?????

Rozmin said...

It's funny, here in Geneva every third car or so has one of those triangular baby on board signs! Never thought about it before, even though our old car has one (used car, we have no babies yet!). Although, ours are in French, so I guess it at least remotely makes sense. Maybe (probably) for the Russians who put that on their car it's sort of a status symbol?

Anonymous said...

All this sign business is very confusing. I see a good number of "Baby-on-board" signs around here. They do mesmerize me, I love babies, so I start to think about this particular baby-on-board, and when it was born etc. Have no idea how it suppose to be a safety measure.
Olga

julieann said...

I started looking for these stickers while I was out and about today in Moscow. I saw one car that had two "baby on board" stickers! I don't really understand the purpose of these either. I hope people drive safely and carefully no matter what!

Annie said...

I'm stupid enough to run into the back of the car trying to figure out what the heck the sign means! "Beware of High Heels" would really have been my first thought - they can REALLY hurt your feet - ride in the car instead.

When the "Baby on Board" signs started appearing there was a lot of controversy about them. They do seem really stupid. Once the baby is a toddler, feel free to run into the car? But someone said the point was, if there is an accident, to look for a carseat or an infant. Now THAT makes sense - but would ONLY do so, if the sign was only used WHEN the baby was there - otherwise some kindly soul could be injured trying to rescue a non-present infant.

Rachael said...

Oh, too funny. No, I do not think that little triangle incites the intended effect.

The Expatresse said...

While the insurance actuaries will tell you that women are statistically safer drivers, the Spanish will tell you that "at the heart of every accident is a woman."

I assume it is men looking at women, but that's just me.