Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Some Local Flavor


Yesterday some people commented about how much they appreciate the uniqueness of local flavors, so here's one for ya'! "Teremok" is a fast-food chain you see throughout the city; Natalia often chooses their ham and cheese blinchik (crèpe) if we need to grab something to eat on the run.

I noticed this sign for their "okroshka," a cold Russian soup, while there yesterday... You can get the "homemade" version in kvas, a cold drink from fermented black bread, or the "special" version is fresh draft beer. Beer soup. With cucumber, radishes, peas, hard-boiled egg, cubed bologna and dill... In the food court at the mall.

Yuck.

Chris loves the variation in kvas, but I just can't bring myself to eat it... Our favorite Russian professor in college loved it, too... Here's a recipe with detailed instructions and photos.

9 comments:

Christine said...

OUt of all things Russian-- I can't stand akroshka! Yuck! Oh and some gelatnous meat dish--- double yuck!

The Expatresse said...

This blog seems to have expired, but I love his discussion of kvas: http://darknessatnoon.blogspot.com/2008/09/kvas-magic-in-bottle.html

Russian Life said...

I love the soup! It is one of our favorites. We make it a lot during the summer. I use better meat than what is shown in the video.
This seems funny to me as I do not really like kvas as a drink.

Tina in CT said...

Yuck to all those things. Glad you didn't take me there.

Rozmin said...

Ok, I LOVE okroshka...but that "special" one sounds gross! If you can't bring yourself to eat it with kvass, try making the version that I've heard is Central Asian in origin. Make it with Ayran, or Kefir. It's very good! But I still like the kvass version better. :-)

Anonymous said...

Christine, the gelatinous meat dish is holodetz or studen - it is delicious!
Okroshka is my favorite. I was trying to make it here in US for about 30 years with no success. It just does not taste right, so I am going to Tamara's link to learn new tricks.
Olga

Anonymous said...

OK
I looked at the recipe - I absolutely object to the canned peas (you can not add any canned thing to this spring soup) and to the mayo.
Other than that, I am just dying for a bowl of it!!!!!!!!!!
Olga

Annie said...

How coincidental! Ilya was begging me to make Okroshka. I had to look up a recipe on-line and they are all so different I was in despair. Worst part is he wanted it like his grandmother's (now there's a recipe for disappointment). So, sweet Alla actually called grandma and asked how she makes it. As I might have guessed it isn't a "recipe" (i.e. I got a list of ingredients) but since she is so poor I don't think she had meat in it at all!

However, TWICE I bought kvass just so I could make it and BOTH times Ilya himself, with his accomplice Sergei, drank the kvass before I could make the soup. One of these days.....

Actually, I was thinking as I drove to school this morning about your blog, and that post and wishing there was a Yolki Palki here in Lansing....but not really. I really do mean what I say!

Annie said...

I just went to the link and found a whole Russian Cooking blog!!! What fun! Thanks for the tip!