Saturday, August 21, 2010

62 Cubic Inches and 50 Lbs...

I've been at it for hours... Packing and unpacking, lifting the huge boxes and standing on a scale until the weight is exactly right...


Ugh.


I really hate this part of getting ready to go back to Moscow.


This year it's a bit easier since Chris and Katya will be coming to the US in mid-Fall... But I need to pack all essentials just in case for some reason they can't make the trip then... It is pretty nice once we arrive, however, to know I'm "set" for all birthdays, Christmas, teachers' gifts, classmate gifts, etc., etc.


My guilty pleasure(s)? Today I nabbed these (with a coupon!) at Bath and Body Works:


Yeah, I know. Soap. But...

Katya and Chris will be in the USA for Halloween, while Natalia and I will remain behind in Moscow... I'm going to let Natalia throw a sleepover party for a few of her friends and I've brought back some glow-in-the-dark nailpolish colors, too...

It's just some stilly stuff. But it makes Moscow feel like "home" and it gives my kids a "treat" for Halloween—a holiday that otherwise doesn't exist in Russia. I also picked up some fun hand sanitizer gels that smell like "candy corn" and "marshmallow."

It's amazing how much a $1 trinket can make your day when there's no other way you could have had it... I also picked some up for the two wonderful Russian/American sisters I've been tutoring for the past four years. On a dreary October day, those gels with glow-in-the-dark backpack attachers (you stick the gel container in the plastic case and it can loop around a backpack strap) will make their week!!

5 comments:

Annie said...

I think you celebrate these American holidays in Moscow with far more zeal than we celebrate them here.

Rachael said...

I had a small taste of your packing routine when I brought the boxes for you last year. It is really challenging making the most use of your space/pound limits!

Hope you guys have a safe and uneventful trip home.

Anonymous said...

Safe travels back to Moscow and good luck as your start your new school year!

~Donna in CA

Jojo, Julz, Julianne said...

Too funny!
I just went to Bath and Body Works today!!
lots of great sales going on!!!!
Have fun packing, and safe travels!!

Anonymous said...

Have a nice trip back to Moscow!
It looks like a heat way is overr.
Olga