Thursday, April 28, 2011
Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Sunday, April 24, 2011
So much bigger in size!
You sure like this item,
And so do your eyes!
(our larger TV that was bought in February)
Another new toy
From the midwinter days....
When you watch something with this,
It will simply amaze!
(the dvd player—blue ray—that came with it)
This fun-loving girl
Travels near and far...
Bringing along her friends,
In this cool kind of car.
(inside the shower in the American Girl camper they have)
Point and shoot...
Zoom in, and zoom out...
Capturing what matters...
Is what this is all about.
(inside my camera bag)
Hours and hours
Spent this way
Creating beautiful patterns
To keep or give away...
(inside the bucket of perler beads they use to make figures that you iron to set)
You know you want one!
But in Moscow? Hard to conceive...
These just don't exist in a city, so
You'll have to make believe...
(inside their dolls' tree house)
If you lose a baby tooth,
Leave it here at night...
A fairy will come to take it away
Remaining out of sight.
(under Natalia's pillow)
The King of the Bathroom...
And the King of the Bed...
Perched up here regally,
Resting his head...
(where Katya's cat, Lyalya, sleeps at the foot of her loft bed)
This latest item of comfort
Added to your house...
Is so comfy for the kitties...
That they'd ignore a mouse!
(behind our IKEA Poang chair, where their basket was hidden)
Sleek and sporty on the outside,
Soft and furry within...
Keeping your Mom's treasure safe,
Blue like the Caribbean...
(inside the neoprene padded sleeve for my laptop)
"Those aren't yours! Just go away!"
"But I can't find mine! And I need some today!"
Ah, such battles in the morning make you nuts...
Such fighting among sisters, such a fuss...
So Mom gladly went back to your favorite store
And bought lots of these—more and more!
(inside Natalia's sock drawer)
With sequins and sparkles...
And sayings with pizzazz...
But if they're all bunched up and shoved in,
You know your mom will spaz!
(inside a Gap t-shirt in K's drawer)
Every day these make our home gleam...
Wiping up spills and keeping things clean...
Then washed in hot water and throw in to dry,
Without these, we just couldn't get by!
(in the stack of rags we use to wash the floors and instead of paper towels)
Jewelry, perfumes, secret treasure...
Katya picked this out with pleasure!
A place you love and think is great...
Part of your room since you turned eight.
(inside the "locker" from Justice that Katya gave Natalia for her birthday)
What a big year for you,
Since last I hopped this way...
Now you have quite a collection of these!
And this is where they stay...
(in the case where Katya keeps her earrings)
Oooh, là là!
You're now so grown up and chic!
Pink grapefruit, mademoiselle?
Smells good enough to lick!
(inside the box that Natalia's pink grapefruit French perfume came in)
"Yay! What fun!"
So he jumps right inside...
For a girly-girl ride.
(inside the doll carriage—in which our cat loves to go for rides)
Gleeful singing from the kitchen...
Cooking after school...
Rocking out with your mom..
With this multi-purpose tool!
(in the rack where I keep my "microphone" tongs)
A certain someone depends on this
To keep his kingdom clean and fresh...
If it ran out, he'd refuse to rule—
From a throne that is a mess!
(in the bag of CLEAN kitty litter)
If your mom is headed to Auchon,
You sure hope she'll bring some home!
Favorite flavors, to each her own...
At first you didn't like them,
But now you'll really do...
Not only are they yummy, but also good for you!
(in with the yogurts)
Just how many can you eat?
As many as you please?
You should both turn into mice...
From eating so many of these...
(in the bag of string cheese sticks)
If your father always remembered,
You'd be done with me for already a while...
When what I've started will be finished,
You will dazzle with your smile!
(in the case where we keep the key to tighten Katya's retainer spacer)
Now that Spring has come,
I hear you shout and cheer...
As you zoom and whiz with glee,
Smiling bright from ear to ear!
(where we keep the scooters)
I see everything...
I'm such a clever rabbit!
But leaving these here isn't too smart...
What a dangerous habit!
(the crevice in the hall where a spare key is left on odd occasions)
Gliding and shivering,
Avoiding any fall...
What a fun way to pass
Some hours at the mall!
(in Natalia's ice skate bag)
Best drag me out...
I make delicious golden ribbons
That make your guests shout!
(in with my pasta maker)
Upside down and neatly stacked...
Lined up neatly in a row...
Scrubbed and scrubbed then rinsed...
This is where wet things go.
(in the dish rack)
Such a handy octopus...
Always ready to help...
But if your classmates saw what I hold,
You surely would yelp!
(hanging from the IKEA octopus with clothespins on each "arm" where we dry our underwear)
"Please, pretty please..."
Was your heart-felt pre-Prague plee...
"If you love me, you'll let me borrow it..."
And then you kept it for thee!
(in the pocket of my North Face windbreaker that Katya has taken from me...)
Not always predictable,
Sometimes too hot and capricious...
But most things that come from me—
Turn out delicious!
(inside our very temperamental oven)
It's gone! It disappeared!
NOW WHERE DID IT GO?
Hmm... As usual, it slipped inside...
Your mom told you so!
(in between the couch cushions—where the remote slides)
Saturday, April 23, 2011
Friday, April 22, 2011
- When she grows up, she wants to be either a country singer or the first woman President of the United States.
- According to Katya, one of the reasons she loves Taylor Swift is that Taylor wasn't always so popular... When she was younger, kids used to tease her about her looks. She found comfort in writing songs and music, building up her self-confidence through artistic expression. Katya says that she is a wonderful role model for her.
- Her teacher read a story that Katya wrote in third grade about looking beyond appearances and valuing people for their inner qualities. It was so lovely, and her teacher said that is truly how Katya is. I couldn't believe that she can write like that! It was so good! I'll do a post about that at a different time.
- She had really nice things to say about all of us in the family—when we tend to hear the negative much more often at home... It meant a lot to Natalia to hear what Katya said...
- She said that she considers everyone a friend, trusting them unless they give her reason not to...
- Her favorite things? Taylor Swift, Shakespeare, Robert Frost, 39 Clues books, mysteries, music from Glee, singing, treats at Starbucks, monkeys, acting, playing the guitar, reading, and studying the American Revolution.
- What does she like most about Russia? How there are so many historical places everywhere and there's always something new to learn.
- When she grows up, she doesn't plan to take her kids to another country to live. When asked about this, it's not because she personally doesn't like the experience—but she thinks it's too hard on her grandparents and me.
- She was also asked what she likes least about Russia, and she tactfully avoided answering, saying she couldn't quite think of the words... But when I asked her afterwards, having clearly noted that she had something in mind, she replied, "Well, dishonesty in the way things work. But then I realized I might offend someone if I said that because you never know..."
Thursday, April 21, 2011
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
Tuesday, April 12, 2011
- irreverent takes on fashion (and fashion faux-pas...)
- political and cultural commentary
- beautiful design and photography
- feminist wit