Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Egg Hunt 2011


The girls' favorite tradition all year is the egg hunt (plastic eggs that open up to hold treats & clues) that the Easter Bunny leaves for them—with 32 clues, all written in rhyme.

This is how he got Katya, a reluctant reader when she was 6, to start reading... She had to read the clues in order to find her basket! It's now the highlight of the year.

The Easter Bunny must do a LOT of planning, especially since our apartment isn't very large and the clues must be new each year, and tough enough to figure out that the hunt isn't boring...

In the clips above, I just love Natalia's accents! Why she chose to speak like that, I have no idea! But she's actually pretty good! And poor Katya... How resigned she is when solving the clue about her messy shirt drawer! Hah :-)

Here are some of this year's 32 clues; purple ones were read by Natalia, green ones by Katya:


Gigantic! Enormous!

So much bigger in size!

You sure like this item,

And so do your eyes!


(our larger TV that was bought in February)



Another new toy

From the midwinter days....

When you watch something with this,

It will simply amaze!


(the dvd player—blue ray—that came with it)



This fun-loving girl

Travels near and far...

Bringing along her friends,

In this cool kind of car.


(inside the shower in the American Girl camper they have)



Point and shoot...

Zoom in, and zoom out...

Capturing what matters...

Is what this is all about.


(inside my camera bag)



Hours and hours

Spent this way

Creating beautiful patterns

To keep or give away...


(inside the bucket of perler beads they use to make figures that you iron to set)



You know you want one!

But in Moscow? Hard to conceive...

These just don't exist in a city, so

You'll have to make believe...


(inside their dolls' tree house)



If you lose a baby tooth,

Leave it here at night...

A fairy will come to take it away

Remaining out of sight.


(under Natalia's pillow)



The King of the Bathroom...

And the King of the Bed...

Perched up here regally,

Resting his head...


(where Katya's cat, Lyalya, sleeps at the foot of her loft bed)



This latest item of comfort

Added to your house...

Is so comfy for the kitties...

That they'd ignore a mouse!


(behind our IKEA Poang chair, where their basket was hidden)


Sleek and sporty on the outside,

Soft and furry within...

Keeping your Mom's treasure safe,

Blue like the Caribbean...


(inside the neoprene padded sleeve for my laptop)



"Those aren't yours! Just go away!"

"But I can't find mine! And I need some today!"

Ah, such battles in the morning make you nuts...

Such fighting among sisters, such a fuss...

So Mom gladly went back to your favorite store

And bought lots of these—more and more!


(inside Natalia's sock drawer)



With sequins and sparkles...

And sayings with pizzazz...

But if they're all bunched up and shoved in,

You know your mom will spaz!


(inside a Gap t-shirt in K's drawer)



Every day these make our home gleam...

Wiping up spills and keeping things clean...

Then washed in hot water and throw in to dry,

Without these, we just couldn't get by!


(in the stack of rags we use to wash the floors and instead of paper towels)



Jewelry, perfumes, secret treasure...

Katya picked this out with pleasure!

A place you love and think is great...

Part of your room since you turned eight.


(inside the "locker" from Justice that Katya gave Natalia for her birthday)



What a big year for you,

Since last I hopped this way...

Now you have quite a collection of these!

And this is where they stay...


(in the case where Katya keeps her earrings)



Oooh, là là!

You're now so grown up and chic!

Pink grapefruit, mademoiselle?

Smells good enough to lick!


(inside the box that Natalia's pink grapefruit French perfume came in)



"Yay! What fun!"

So he jumps right inside...

Settling down

For a girly-girl ride.


(inside the doll carriage—in which our cat loves to go for rides)



Gleeful singing from the kitchen...

Cooking after school...

Rocking out with your mom..

With this multi-purpose tool!


(in the rack where I keep my "microphone" tongs)



A certain someone depends on this

To keep his kingdom clean and fresh...

If it ran out, he'd refuse to rule—

From a throne that is a mess!


(in the bag of CLEAN kitty litter)



If your mom is headed to Auchon,

You sure hope she'll bring some home!

Favorite flavors, to each her own...

At first you didn't like them,

But now you'll really do...

Not only are they yummy, but also good for you!


(in with the yogurts)



Just how many can you eat?

As many as you please?

You should both turn into mice...

From eating so many of these...


(in the bag of string cheese sticks)



If your father always remembered,

You'd be done with me for already a while...

When what I've started will be finished,

You will dazzle with your smile!


(in the case where we keep the key to tighten Katya's retainer spacer)



Now that Spring has come,

I hear you shout and cheer...

As you zoom and whiz with glee,

Smiling bright from ear to ear!


(where we keep the scooters)



I see everything...

I'm such a clever rabbit!

But leaving these here isn't too smart...

What a dangerous habit!


(the crevice in the hall where a spare key is left on odd occasions)



Gliding and shivering,

Avoiding any fall...

What a fun way to pass

Some hours at the mall!


(in Natalia's ice skate bag)



Company's coming...

Best drag me out...

I make delicious golden ribbons

That make your guests shout!


(in with my pasta maker)



Upside down and neatly stacked...

Lined up neatly in a row...

Scrubbed and scrubbed then rinsed...

This is where wet things go.


(in the dish rack)



Such a handy octopus...

Always ready to help...

But if your classmates saw what I hold,

You surely would yelp!


(hanging from the IKEA octopus with clothespins on each "arm" where we dry our underwear)



"Please, pretty please..."

Was your heart-felt pre-Prague plee...

"If you love me, you'll let me borrow it..."

And then you kept it for thee!


(in the pocket of my North Face windbreaker that Katya has taken from me...)



Not always predictable,

Sometimes too hot and capricious...

But most things that come from me—

Turn out delicious!


(inside our very temperamental oven)



It's gone! It disappeared!

NOW WHERE DID IT GO?

Hmm... As usual, it slipped inside...

Your mom told you so!


(in between the couch cushions—where the remote slides)

8 comments:

Rachael said...

That is fantastic! How long does it take you to put that together?!!

MoscowMom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lois said...

Absolutely adorable, especially that little Natalia with her accent!

Garnet said...

Thanks for posting this -- it was just the kick I needed. Every time I read about this before I thought how much my kids would love it and this year I even managed to purchase and bring over plastic eggs -- and we located them for Easter. But that was as far as my organization got -- they had fun hiding and finding plain eggs today. However . . . since they both have throat infections the Easter candy I got them is off limits for the moment, so I promised we'd do a hunt for the eggs with candy after they get well. I doubt I'll manage anywhere near as many -- or as clever -- clues as you did, but at least it will be a start! And my reluctant-reader-six-year-old will get very simple sentences such as "In my bed". I never would have thought to film it, but that is a great idea as well.

Garnet said...

Oh, and I absolutely love the loft bed. I keep dreaming of doing that here as well but since I'm not the who would be constructing them that hasn't happened yet. I also wish I could have gotten a better look at all those AG dolls. It seemed to be a really cute storage method. We have pretty much run out of room where we were keeping ours and I'm looking for ideas.

Tina in CT said...

Another great Easter egg hunt with such well thought out clues. The ones Dad and I did for you were nowhere near as clever.

Banker Chick said...

I just got caught up and I am glad you are bac. I have been keeping track by checking out your mom's blog. I am such a lurker as I read blogs at work and don't think I should comment as it is not my computer etc. This week I am off an so I am spending time in the bloggosphere not lurking.

Jojo, Julz, Julianne said...

HOly Cheese and Crackers!!

I am just not that organized!!..And the dollar store makes up for my lack of creativity!
Glad you had a great Easter!!