Sunday, April 10, 2011

Uh, No.


Look closely. Really? That's what she thinks it means to get her coffee "to go"? At least this café offers lids for your "take it with you" beverages...

Then again, I remember seven years ago when you just didn't get coffee "to go" at all without people looking at you a bit oddly. Alcohol while walking around, sure! Soda, fine! But not coffee... Once I got in a cab with my Starbucks tumbler full of home-brewed coffee. The driver raised his brow at me and remarked, "Vodka?" as he eyed my drink. When I remarked that it was simply coffee, he shrugged his shoulders and muttered, "Why?"

5 comments:

Annie said...

Do Russians have fear-of-hot-beverages? I now understand why getting coffee to go was so difficult in Moscow. I still remember that interchange, because I thought my Russian was perfectly clear, but the girl acted as though should couldn't be understanding me right. Now I get it! I also recall that she gave me extra packaging, though in that case I think she put the coffee in a sack.

MoscowMom said...

Annie—No, not really... It's the cold beverages that push them over the edge in terror...

Perhaps it b/c most Russians smoke while drinking their coffee, and it's hard to do both while walking... I'm just making that up, of course, but there's a grain of truth in that!

Tina in CT said...

They should have less vodka and more cold drinks.

katbat said...

I think it may also be that coffee and tea are sit down affairs - you must have something sweet with your coffee or tea - so you really can't walk and drink coffee and eat fancy cake. (I am also making this up - but makes some sense I guess).

Anonymous said...

What's the theory behind the Russian fear of drinking cold beverages? I must have missed that somewhere.

Cheryl in ID