Sunday, May 22, 2011

AAAARGH! Russian Medicine...

OK. So I stayed up until 11 p.m. so I could give the stray kitten a rabies shot.

A shot he was supposed to have last night, but, well... That didn't go so swimmingly.

The vaccine, you see, comes in a glass ampule. A GLASS AMPULE WITH NO OPENING. As in, Chris and I last night at 11 p.m. going "WTF???!!! How do we get this stuff out and into the needle???!!!"


Chris ended up cracking it somehow, and I picked up the glass shards on the counter and floor. At this point you're really hoping they didn't get into the vaccine. And you're really ticked off to have spilled a good bit of it.

Fast forward to tonight, after I wasted another hour today going to get the $15 ampule YET AGAIN, since we'd wasted more than half when we had tried. Knowing how much success we had in the endeavor last night, I sprung for two ampules. Good call.

Turns out that the only way to open these containers is with a metal nail file. Thought we had one. Well... We, um, don't. We had cat claw trimmers. They did the job. Cleaned up the shards. Filled the syringe, which I had gone to buy today as well.

Felt pretty darn smug, and I hadn't even jabbed the cat yet.


Until I noticed the syringe had NO NEEDLE! I speak Russian, people... I had CLEARLY explained what I needed... Even told what it was for...

ARGH, ARGH, ARGH! Now I'll have to repeat the whole bloody process (yeah, I've been hanging with Brits all year...!) tomorrow night.

Joy!

At least this isn't as disconcerting as it is when you've just moved here, and you have a screaming toddler who needs medicine, and a four-year-old demanding your attention, no car, and you manage to get the doctor, and to get the medicine, and you get home... And when you open the antibiotic, you see the bottle ONLY HAS POWDER IN IT and you have to MIX IT YOURSELF!

It's not so easy to figure out how much water to add... And you mistakenly go to the wrong mark... And then have to go out ALL OVER AGAIN with two docile (!!!) pleasant (!!!) children... AND I SPEAK RUSSIAN! That has to just knock non-Russian speaking expat moms flat cold on their tooshes...

5 comments:

Lois said...

This is somewhat reminiscent of a time twelve years ago when William was a very medically-involved baby who required a feeding pump. Preparing the $400/month formula each night was quite an ordeal when all went well, and even worse when things didn't go so well. One night just before midnight I was preparing the feeding pump bag when I discovered that the bag had a HOLE in it, the formula spilled out, and I had to start the whole process all over again. I remember being so incredibly tired that I even asked myself, "What if I just skip this feeding?" Needless to say, I prepared a new batch.

Jojo, Julz, Julianne said...

Tamara,
Sometimes I think you are trying to convince me NOT to go to Russia...No matter what you say, I am going to get there one day..
AND I would hope that YOU are still there if I got there..

Tina in CT said...

Good God JoJo - I sure would hope they are long home by then!

Anonymous said...

You have to break the ampule at the neck with your hand, as if you were, well, cracking the neck of a chicken. At least that's how you open the glass ampules in America.

- Paula

The Expatresse said...

It's only funny because it isn't me . . .

[[HUGS]]