Sunday, May 15, 2011

Bulgakov and Patriarch Ponds





Today's Google logo honors Mikhail Bulgakov, author The Master and Margarita and A Dog's Heart, among many other works. I remember reading those novels back in college, the second one without any translation. That was hard. Since moving here, I've seen a few theatre performances of The Master and Margarita—but I still prefer the book.


One of our favorite areas in Moscow figures prominently in The Master and Margarita: Patriarch Ponds. These pictures were taken in October 2008.


Just off of the Garden Ring Road, tucked between Malaya Bronnaya and Spiridonovka Streets, it's a a pretty area with a little park and pond that people like to skate on in the winter. The Café Margarita is a nice place to go for live music and authentic Russian food in the evening without going broke. It's very small and intimate!

4 comments:

The Expatresse said...

One of my very favorite corners in Moscow. There is also a VERY cool gift shop right near Cafe Margarita. Same side of the street, same block--just a few doors down, as I recall. Gagarin on accent pillows . . . that sort of thing.

Tina in CT said...

What a pretty park. I don't recall going there.

Anonymous said...

I love Master and Margarita! I used to remember many passages by heart!
We saw couple of years ago Russian TV series the friend gave us and I thought it was very good.
Thank you for the pictures!
Have you ever read Rockovyie Yaytsa?
Olga

Chris said...

Loved reading the book when I was in college. I was in Moscow in March and was so pleased the Bulgakov Museum and Patriach Ponds were just a short walk from The Peking. Such a hidden gem. Would love to see the park in summer. Thanks for sharing.