Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Busted...

Busted. When I was her age, I snuck a flashlight under the covers...

We got mail today from the US and I just caught Katya devouring the latest American Girl magazine... We get mail about twice a month after my mom collects it and puts it in a bigger envelope to mail through Chris's office. (Thanks, Mom!) She was also pretty excited to get a card from her godmother, a card from her grandmother, an invite to an event celebrating girls' sports (that happened over two weeks ago) for girls her age at the high school I went to (and where she'd love to go), and a Nintendo DS cartridge to learn French...

Me? Well, it's always such important and welcome news to be notified that our credit card is offering new promos... And now I have more insurance statements to file for FSA reimbursement... But I did love getting the alumni magazine from the wonderful school I went to through 9th grade...

Oh, and in other mail? Well, the State of New York seems to think **I** owe over $30,000 in back taxes. Um, WE MOVED AWAY SEVEN YEARS AGO! And while in NY, my only job was as a Creative Memories consultant, not exactly earning big bucks! Unfortunately our mailing address for the first four years there was through his office's New York office... And we have filed all the paperwork we were supposed to... In multiple ways, on multiple occasions, and now there are supposedly only three days until they nail us for something we don't even owe... New York maintains that even when you move away to another continent, it's ASSUMED to be temporary and you'll OF COURSE be coming back.

WHAT A PAIN! We now have to dig up all the lease agreements and cable bills (the only bill with our last name on it) for the past seven years... And that's probably only the beginning...

5 comments:

The Expatresse said...

Been there! Done that. We are STILL fighting with the State of Ohio over one of two years they claim we were residents there. Similar situation: the law firm was Ohio based and THEIR accountants (PWC) said we could use the office address to file our federal taxes. WHAT a pain. We finally had to hire an Ohio lawyer to deal with it for us. I feel your pain. You CAN get out from under it, but it is not easy. Producing leases and utility bills from abroad, etc . . . I live in FEAR that I will get busted again esp. since now we OWN a house in Ohio. I am forever trying to fudge things like billing addresses.

Jon D. Ayres said...

I could not help but smiling about reading this post, brought back memories when I was young. I still do this when reading late at night so my wife does not get upset with me having a light on. ;)
JD

Tina in CT said...

Tami: I used to sneak up the stairs to see if light was coming out from under your door. As you got older, you had it under the covers so I wouldn't see. I'll have to clue Katya in on that trick (ha, ha, ha - said in a low, slow voice). She loves to read in bed as we all do. When we camped, I'd be in my sleeping bag with my flashlight in one hand and the book in the other while your dad was asleep.

Wish I'd opened the envelope from NY as I could have sent it out the next day to Chris' office address. I have been collecting mail all of April until the mailer was full as it's costly.

Bummer that the event was not when she is here in the summer.

Amanda: What a nightmare. Hope they don't have to go through that ordeal.

Anonymous said...

I did too!
Do not worry, she will learn this trick soon enough.
Olga

Rachael said...

Oh, what a pain. Hope you can resolve it all without too much stress!