Thursday, May 5, 2011

Getting Ready for Victory


The banners are now up pretty much everywhere... Moscow is in full "Victory Day" mode. (Victory Day is May 9th, the end of World War II). I've written about this before, but basically May 9th is A MAJOR RUSSIAN HOLIDAY. Many Russians would be surprised to find out that Americans think they won the war, oh, yeah, with the Allies. For Russians? IT'S PERSONAL, and it was fought, fiercely, on their own land. Over 20,ooo,ooo citizens of USSR died during World War II. It's almost impossible to find someone who didn't lose a direct relative during the war.

This a fantastic time of the year to visit Moscow and we have company again this year; close family friends are here until Tuesday. It's fun to have guests; it makes you step out of "daily routine" mode and just enjoy the city. For example, I actually got out and took photos today! Yes, there is work I could have been doing instead... But I can get that stuff done in the next few days...


Russians do decorative metal structures and flag-like decorations better than anybody...


This picture is deceptive; it makes you think that traffic doesn't exist here. Hah! Tonight I felt so sorry for the parents who were only just then realizing that many of the main roads were closed down tonight at 6 p.m. for a rehearsal for the big parade on Monday... I have no idea how some of those friends made it home; traffic must have been at a complete standstill in some areas...


Outside of Red Square, General Zhukov's statue (he lead the forces into Berlin) is flanked by flags representing all of the various fronts.


Lifting the number nine... Big grandstands have been put up to accommodate guests at the parade, and there is a huge stage for the gala concert that night.


Flanking the National Museum of History are these replicas of war medals... The one below is particularly striking. The background even looks like ribbon.


It was even hot today... I was too warm in my jeans and short-sleeved shirt... It's almost impossible to believe that a little over two weeks ago there was still snow and I hadn't taken off our winter tires!

4 comments:

Tina in CT said...

I don't remember seeing the number when we were all there two years ago. But, the city was gorgeous with all the flowers planted everywhere. The city was so clean and spiffy. I loved all the signs and banners all over the city.

Glad it warmed up. Hard to believe you had snow 2 weeks ago.

My gardens are full of spring flowers in bloom and perennials coming up. Travis is home from college and the lawn got mowed for the first time today. Everything looks great.

Annie said...

It is all so beautiful! Wish I were there!

Rachael said...

Wish I were there this time too!

I was just telling a friend last weekend about our Victory Day adventures trying to get home after the fireworks.

brainwracked said...

Thought I would share my perspective on Russia´s Victory Day: http://brainwracked.livejournal.com/44037.html

Zhenya